Sunday, November 2, 2014
ROCK ISLAND A former city employee has been arrested on suspicion of embezzling nearly $13,000.
Malaga resident Michelle Dianne Brooks, 39, was arrested Wednesday by Douglas County Sheriff’s Office detectives.
Brooks is suspected of embezzling $12,965.12 from the city of Rock Island.
The investigation began July 14 when city officials noticed discrepancies in the city’s finances, including payroll. The financial duties were managed by the suspect, Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.
Brooks was fired and the city began an audit. The process, which included assistance from the Washington State Auditor’s Office, allegedly showed Brooks stole the money by modifying her own pay.
She was arrested at her current place of employment. She was booked into the Chelan County Jail on suspicion of first-degree theft.
When Brooks was taken into custody, she allegedly was in possession of a civilian model electronic control device (Taser), which deputies believe may have belonged to the city of Rock Island. That aspect of the arrest is under investigation, Gjesdal said.
More like this story
- Proposal would change name of Squaw Creek
- Russian hackers tried to get into state election system -- and failed
- Extension hosts Women in Agriculture conference
- Woodcutting restrictions reduced in forest
- 'Healing the Columbia' features tribal members
- State delays fisher reintroduction in North Cascades
- Diamond Creek Fire 70 percent contained
- AAA: Truck safety technology can prevent crashes
- Methow school board meetings changed
- Concert features Turkish music duo