Sunday, November 2, 2014
ROCK ISLAND A former city employee has been arrested on suspicion of embezzling nearly $13,000.
Malaga resident Michelle Dianne Brooks, 39, was arrested Wednesday by Douglas County Sheriff’s Office detectives.
Brooks is suspected of embezzling $12,965.12 from the city of Rock Island.
The investigation began July 14 when city officials noticed discrepancies in the city’s finances, including payroll. The financial duties were managed by the suspect, Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal said.
Brooks was fired and the city began an audit. The process, which included assistance from the Washington State Auditor’s Office, allegedly showed Brooks stole the money by modifying her own pay.
She was arrested at her current place of employment. She was booked into the Chelan County Jail on suspicion of first-degree theft.
When Brooks was taken into custody, she allegedly was in possession of a civilian model electronic control device (Taser), which deputies believe may have belonged to the city of Rock Island. That aspect of the arrest is under investigation, Gjesdal said.
More like this story
- Royal tops Okanogan, 49-0, in state quarterfinals
- St. George's eases past Brewster, 2-1, following a shootout at state
- Omak man arrested after fatal fire
- Investigators called fatal fire scene
- Navy crew responsible for phallic skywriting
- WVCO addresses Confederate flag displayed by student
- Driver injured in accident near Grand Coulee
- Firefighters respond to fully engulfed house fire
- 'The Price Is Right Live' returns to Town Toyota Center
- 51 million americans to travel Thanksgiving weekend