Thursday, May 22, 2014
LEAVENWORTH The Icicle River opens for salmon fishing starting Friday and running through July 31.
In-season run analysis has predicted about 6,000 salmon are currently en route to the Icicle River, state Department of Fish and Wildlife officials said.
Although upper Columbia River spring Chinook have been listed as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act, salmon returning to the Icicle River are a non-endemic stock headed to the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery and are not listed under the ESA.
About 1,600 salmon are needed to meet hatchery brood-stock requirements, officials said. The remaining fish will be available for harvest.
The daily limit is two adipose fin-clipped spring Chinook (adult or jack), with a minimum size of 12 inches.
The river is open from 800 feet upstream of the mouth to 500 feet downstream of the Leavenworth National Fish Hatchery Barrier Dam.
No gear restrictions are in effect. The regulation allowing 2-pole angling on the Columbia River does not apply to the Icicle River, and night fishing is prohibited.
Anglers must have a current state fishing license as well as a Columbia River salmon and steelhead endorsement.
More like this story
- Week 5 high bowling scores
- Fishing to open for hatchery steelhead, rainbows
- Federal help sought for fire recovery
- Legislator calls for fight against McCleary
- Family Faire wraps up today
- Friday football scores: Okanogan wins big
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge