Thursday, May 22, 2014
TONASKET Tonasket High School has fired its librarian, who will be arraigned June 2 in Okanogan County Superior Court for allegedly having sex with a student.
Elizabeth Kinkade, 37, is facing charges of five counts of sexual misconduct. She was arrested Tuesday and booked into Okanogan County Jail, then released Wednesday on personal recognizance.
“The board voted to terminate Ms. Kinkade’s employment effective immediately,” schools Superintendent Paul Turner said Thursday about a special meeting the School Board hosted early Wednesday morning. “All other information in this matter has been turned over to the authorities.”
The male student she has been accused of having sex with is 18 years old, and was 18 when the incidents began, Tonasket Police Chief Robert Burks said.
The Police Department has said the alleged incidents did not happen on school grounds.
Kinkade’s preliminary hearing was yesterday, but no charges have been filed yet. Okanogan County Chief Criminal Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Branden Platter said he has until 5 p.m. tomorrow to file paperwork asking the court to find probable cause for the charges.
Principal Jeff Hardesty and School Board Chairman Jerry Asmussen declined to comment. Board members Lloyd Caton, Ty Olson, Catherine Stangland and Ernesto Cerrillo could not be reached.
Kinkade was arrested at her home Tuesday, after Okanogan County Sheriff’s deputies were called for shots fired.
Sheriff Frank Rogers said Kinkade allegedly told her husband she had an affair, and he allegedly grabbed a gun from his truck and fired it into the air.
Deputies also arrested Mark Kinkade, 43, for illegal discharge of a weapon. More information about his possible charge was not available at Okanogan County District Court this afternoon.
Rogers said Turner arrived on the scene and asked deputies to arrest Elizabeth Kinkade, but was told that would be within the jurisdiction of the Tonasket Police Department.
More like this story
- DNR issues statewide burn ban
- Gubernatorial candidate debate planned tomorrow
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge