Friday, May 16, 2014
MOUNT RAINIER Boulders plummeting from Mount Wow onto Westside Road have created craters and prompted Mount Rainier National Park officials to close the popular route in the southwest area of the park.
Westside Road will remain closed until the area is deemed safe and park crews can remove the boulders and repair the road, officials said.
The boulders created large craters, with at least one eight feet wide and three feet deep, officials said, noting a vehicle was destroyed and other amenities damaged.
According to park officials, workers returning from a multi-night monitoring trip found the boulders Thursday near the Dry Creek public parking area.
A private vehicle parked there was destroyed when one of the boulders apparently hit it on the driver’s side, damaging the vehicle and pushing it nearly over the edge of the roadway, officials said. It was unoccupied when workers discovered it.
Numerous boulders — one larger than a truck — were strewn over the parking area and road, officials said. Some of the boulders hit the road and continued moving until coming to rest in the bed of Tahoma Creek.
In addition to the damage caused to the private vehicle, a park gate and welded steel rock separation box were damaged, officials said.
The park’s geomorphologist and his crew are assessing the cause and the likelihood of additional rockfalls from Mount Wow, which towers above the road, officials said.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON