Friday, May 16, 2014
MOUNT RAINIER Boulders plummeting from Mount Wow onto Westside Road have created craters and prompted Mount Rainier National Park officials to close the popular route in the southwest area of the park.
Westside Road will remain closed until the area is deemed safe and park crews can remove the boulders and repair the road, officials said.
The boulders created large craters, with at least one eight feet wide and three feet deep, officials said, noting a vehicle was destroyed and other amenities damaged.
According to park officials, workers returning from a multi-night monitoring trip found the boulders Thursday near the Dry Creek public parking area.
A private vehicle parked there was destroyed when one of the boulders apparently hit it on the driver’s side, damaging the vehicle and pushing it nearly over the edge of the roadway, officials said. It was unoccupied when workers discovered it.
Numerous boulders — one larger than a truck — were strewn over the parking area and road, officials said. Some of the boulders hit the road and continued moving until coming to rest in the bed of Tahoma Creek.
In addition to the damage caused to the private vehicle, a park gate and welded steel rock separation box were damaged, officials said.
The park’s geomorphologist and his crew are assessing the cause and the likelihood of additional rockfalls from Mount Wow, which towers above the road, officials said.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge