Wednesday, March 19, 2014
HYAK Construction is scheduled to return to Interstate 90 over Snoqualmie Pass in early April.
As a result, state Department of Transportation officials are suggesting drivers start planning cross-pass trips to avoid major construction-related delays.
Starting April 12, I-90 will be reduced to a single lane in each direction for two weeks, including weekends, as crews build detours in preparation for the 2014 construction season.
Crews will also remove the 64-year-old snowshed.
“We can’t stress how important it is for drivers to know before they go and plan ahead before heading out the door,” Transportation Regional Administrator Don Whitehouse said. “During the single-lane closures, drivers will need to change their travel plans in order to avoid delays of up to two hours.
"We suggest you travel early in the morning, go later at night, find an alternate route or postpone your trip until after April 25.”
The work is part of a $551 million I-90 widening project from Hyak to Keechelus Dam.
WSDOT and contractor crews will also be working on a number of other projects east of Snoqualmie Pass later this summer.
Those projects will replace deteriorating pavement and improve visibility with new lighting and lane markings with solar-powered light-emitting diodes, officials said.
Rock blasting also resumes this summer and drivers need to plan for hour-long closures Monday through Thursday starting an hour before sunset.
More like this story
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-179 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-180 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-166 April 20, 27) CITY OF OKANOGAN MUNICIPAL SWIMMING POOL
- 800 (2016-167 April 20, 27) CITY OF BREWSTER INVITATION TO BID
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge