Monday, March 17, 2014
CHELAN Chelan Ranger District personnel are preparing for spring prescribed fire activities.
Prescribed fires are planned on a total of 1,185 acres this spring.
Burning operations are expected to start as soon as weather and fuel conditions permit, likely continuing for several weeks, officials said.
The following areas are planned for burning: Safety Harbor, Washington Creek, Forest Mountain, East Fork Joe Creek and Bergman Gulch.
According to forest officials, the burning helps reduce wildfire potential later in the year.
Additional benefits of prescribed burning include habitat restoration, maintenance of species diversity, stimulation of forage for Mule deer and Bighorn sheep and return of nutrients to the soil, officials said.
Prior to burning operations, fire managers will evaluate air quality. If conditions are right, managers will request permission to proceed from the state Department of Natural Resources in Olympia.
The majority of smoke from these burns is expected to dissipate to the north and east with some smoke settling in valleys at night.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge