Thursday, March 13, 2014
CHELAN Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest Service officials are reminding recreationists to plan ahead if visiting Lucerne, Holden Village or surrounding forest trails.
Remediation work at Holden Mine will continue to affect access to the area, officials said.
Holden Mine is an inactive mine located about 50 miles north of the city and 10 miles west of Lake Chelan along Railroad Creek.
The 2014 snow-free season will be the busiest season to date for mine remediation activities, officials said.
Railroad Creek valley is a main entrance point to the Glacier Peak Wilderness from Lake Chelan. It also accesses Hart Lake/Lyman Lake Trail No. 1256 and Pacific Crest Trail No. 2000.
Due to mine work, bus transportation between Lucerneand Holden will only be available Saturdays and Sundays in coordination with the Lady of the Lake boat schedule.
Holden Village, the Lutheran retreat center adjacent to the old mine site, will stop hosting guests after April 21, officials said. A reopening date has yet to be determined.
The village reopened Dec. 20 following the 2013 construction season.
Starting in late April, hikers wanting to access the Hart Lake/Lyman Lake Trailhead or Lucerne must use the Holden Village bus. Holden Village will not be open for overnight stays.
The Forest Service campground, located less than a mile west of Holden Village, will remain open throughout the remediation activities.
The following trails are closed until the implementation phase of the project is complete:
- Lower Railroad Creek Trail No. 1240, from Wilson Creek to the mine tailings.
- Goat Trail No. 1245.1
- Tailings Bypass Trail No. 1240.3
- Copper Falls Trail No. 1246.1, from Goat Trail intersection for one mile south
- Copper Creek Trail No. 1240.21
- Miners Interpretive Trail No. 1245
- Monkey Bear Falls No. 1256
- Climber dies after fall at Goat Wall TuesdayMAZAMA — In experienced climber died after a fall while climbing on Goat Wall on Tuesday.
- Pilot escapes injury after crashing into pondWARDEN - A College Place man escaped injury Tuesday night, May 3, when his private plane crashed while en route ...
- Hazardous weather outlook issuedThe Spokane office of the National Weather Service has issued a hazardous weather outlook calling for scattered thunderstorms and heavy ...
More like this story
- Climber dies after fall at Goat Wall Tuesday
- Pilot escapes injury after crashing into pond
- Hazardous weather outlook issued
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-185 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-186 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-187 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-188 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-182 May 4) At the regular council meeting
- 810 (2016-184 May 4) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge