Thursday, March 13, 2014
CHELAN Okanogan-Wenatchee Forest Service officials are reminding recreationists to plan ahead if visiting Lucerne, Holden Village or surrounding forest trails.
Remediation work at Holden Mine will continue to affect access to the area, officials said.
Holden Mine is an inactive mine located about 50 miles north of the city and 10 miles west of Lake Chelan along Railroad Creek.
The 2014 snow-free season will be the busiest season to date for mine remediation activities, officials said.
Railroad Creek valley is a main entrance point to the Glacier Peak Wilderness from Lake Chelan. It also accesses Hart Lake/Lyman Lake Trail No. 1256 and Pacific Crest Trail No. 2000.
Due to mine work, bus transportation between Lucerneand Holden will only be available Saturdays and Sundays in coordination with the Lady of the Lake boat schedule.
Holden Village, the Lutheran retreat center adjacent to the old mine site, will stop hosting guests after April 21, officials said. A reopening date has yet to be determined.
The village reopened Dec. 20 following the 2013 construction season.
Starting in late April, hikers wanting to access the Hart Lake/Lyman Lake Trailhead or Lucerne must use the Holden Village bus. Holden Village will not be open for overnight stays.
The Forest Service campground, located less than a mile west of Holden Village, will remain open throughout the remediation activities.
The following trails are closed until the implementation phase of the project is complete:
- Lower Railroad Creek Trail No. 1240, from Wilson Creek to the mine tailings.
- Goat Trail No. 1245.1
- Tailings Bypass Trail No. 1240.3
- Copper Falls Trail No. 1246.1, from Goat Trail intersection for one mile south
- Copper Creek Trail No. 1240.21
- Miners Interpretive Trail No. 1245
- Monkey Bear Falls No. 1256
More like this story
- 50 years ago: Riverside may get new bridge
- 820 (2017-071 March 29, April 5) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY UNION GAP
- Board votes not to renew Landdeck's coaching contract
- North Valley Hospital begins administrator search
- 83 year-old woman with Alzheimer’s reported missing
- 820 (2017-057 March 8, 15, 22, 29, April 5, 12) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-067 March 22, 29, April 5) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-068 March 29, April 19) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO RCW CHAPTER 61.24
- 820 (2017-069 March 29) INVITATION TO BID
- 820 (2017-070 March 29, April 5) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY UNION GAP