Thursday, March 6, 2014
YAKIMA Brewster closed to within four points late in the game, but just could not regain their first-quarter lead and fell, 51-41, to King’s on Thursday, the opening day of the state 1A boys basketball tournament.
Easton Driessen scored 10 points (8-25 field goals; 1-9 3-pointers), including several late to cut the Knights’ lead.
Brewster led 9-4 after the first quarter before falling back after a 20-9 second-quarter run by King’s .
The Bears turned the ball over 20 times and gave up 13 steals to the quick-handed Knights, who do not have a player shorter than 6-foot on the roster.
Josh Hammons scored 10 points (5-8 field goals) to go with 9 rebounds for Brewster.
Brewster’s long-range bomber, Timbo Taylor (5 points 2-6 shooting), sat for several minutes in the fourth quarter before fouling out.
Brewster was 2-for-14 shooting treys to King’s 3-16, outrebounded King’s 37-35 and finished shooting 34 percent (18-53) to King’s 37 percent (18-49).
For fouls, Driessen was the lone Bear going to the charity line (3-5).
King’s made 12-of-18 free throws.
The Knights turned the ball over 14 times.
Brewster (41) – Driessen 20, Orozco 2, E. Najera 0, Hammons 10, Boesel 0, Divis 0, Talavera 0, Smith 2, Taylor 5, Jacobson 2.
Rebounds (37) – Hammons 9, Taylor 8. Assists (7): Driessen 3. Steals (8): Taylor 3.
More like this story
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
- Hospital board does interview without search
- Tonasket strip club just a rumor
- District delayed in CEO firing
- Fire crews called to multiple fires following lightning storm
- Kennedy, Branch, Hover and Thrasher move on to General Election
- 810 (2016-343 Aug. 17) Notice of Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-339 Aug. 17, Sept. 7) TS #60390-00113-NJ-WA - APN #2370080002
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge