Thursday, March 6, 2014
YAKIMA Brewster closed to within four points late in the game, but just could not regain their first-quarter lead and fell, 51-41, to King’s on Thursday, the opening day of the state 1A boys basketball tournament.
Easton Driessen scored 10 points (8-25 field goals; 1-9 3-pointers), including several late to cut the Knights’ lead.
Brewster led 9-4 after the first quarter before falling back after a 20-9 second-quarter run by King’s .
The Bears turned the ball over 20 times and gave up 13 steals to the quick-handed Knights, who do not have a player shorter than 6-foot on the roster.
Josh Hammons scored 10 points (5-8 field goals) to go with 9 rebounds for Brewster.
Brewster’s long-range bomber, Timbo Taylor (5 points 2-6 shooting), sat for several minutes in the fourth quarter before fouling out.
Brewster was 2-for-14 shooting treys to King’s 3-16, outrebounded King’s 37-35 and finished shooting 34 percent (18-53) to King’s 37 percent (18-49).
For fouls, Driessen was the lone Bear going to the charity line (3-5).
King’s made 12-of-18 free throws.
The Knights turned the ball over 14 times.
Brewster (41) – Driessen 20, Orozco 2, E. Najera 0, Hammons 10, Boesel 0, Divis 0, Talavera 0, Smith 2, Taylor 5, Jacobson 2.
Rebounds (37) – Hammons 9, Taylor 8. Assists (7): Driessen 3. Steals (8): Taylor 3.
- Trudi Inslee visits fire areas todayWashington first lady Trudi Inslee is in Pateros today touring fire areas. She toured the Alta Lake spike camp to ...
- Public meeting about fires is today in NespelemA public meeting about the North Star and Tunk Block fires will be at 5 p.m. today at Nespelem School, ...
More like this story
- Trudi Inslee visits fire areas today
- Public meeting about fires is today in Nespelem
- Crews gaining ground on Colville Complex
- Goodell Fire burning along highway
- Crews brace for fire growth near Wellpinit
- North Cascades could reopen Sunday
- Ferry County prepares for storm
- Causes of death: Smoke, burns
- Electricity may be restored tomorrow to Omak flats
- High winds to fan Ferry County fires
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge