Wednesday, March 5, 2014
OLYMPIA Dr. Kathy Lofy has been named as the new state health officer.
Her appointment took affect immediately, state Department of Health Secretary John Wiesman said Wednesday.
“This is an important position for the Department of Health and the people of Washington,” Wiesman said. “The state health officer is the primary medical consultant on public health issues ... It’s a big job.
"I’m confident Kathy will do it well.”
Lofy was appointed interim state health officer Jan. 1. Before that, she oversaw flu monitoring and served as a medical consultant to the Offices of Communicable Disease Epidemiology and Infectious Disease.
She started her public health career in 2002 as the agency’s Epidemic Intelligence Service officer and the state foodborne disease epidemiologist.
“I’m honored and excited for this new challenge,” Lofy said. “I look forward to helping the people of Washington be as healthy as they can be.”
More like this story
- 3.1 million Tommee Tippee Sippee cups recalled
- Fire safety urged over holiday weekend
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge