Wednesday, March 5, 2014
OLYMPIA Dr. Kathy Lofy has been named as the new state health officer.
Her appointment took affect immediately, state Department of Health Secretary John Wiesman said Wednesday.
“This is an important position for the Department of Health and the people of Washington,” Wiesman said. “The state health officer is the primary medical consultant on public health issues ... It’s a big job.
"I’m confident Kathy will do it well.”
Lofy was appointed interim state health officer Jan. 1. Before that, she oversaw flu monitoring and served as a medical consultant to the Offices of Communicable Disease Epidemiology and Infectious Disease.
She started her public health career in 2002 as the agency’s Epidemic Intelligence Service officer and the state foodborne disease epidemiologist.
“I’m honored and excited for this new challenge,” Lofy said. “I look forward to helping the people of Washington be as healthy as they can be.”
More like this story
- VIDEO: Okanogan County Commissioner Candidate Forum
- Grass fire caused by lawnmower hitting rock
- Colville tribal chairman, musician Jim Boyd dies
- Tonasket EMTs launch legal fund
- Three arrested on drug charges
- Rodeo gallops to Chesaw
- ‘Run for Money’ brings large turnout
- Chronicle wins seven awards in national contest
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
- 800 (2016-296 June 29, July 6) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge