Monday, March 3, 2014
PATEROS One person has been confirmed dead after a van and logging truck collided this morning north of Wells Dam,about eight miles south of town.
The crash was reported between 10:20 and 10:30 a.m. at Milepost 248 on U.S. Highway 97, according to Washington State Patrol Trooper Darren Wright.
A 13-mile stretch of the highway was closed at 11:20 a.m..
The closure extended from the junction with U.S. Highway 97A north of Chelan Falls to Pateros. But just before 1 p.m., it was reopened to limited traffic.
“They are getting traffic through one lane at a time, but they’ll still be there for a while doing the investigation,” Wright said, noting the vehicles hadn’t been cleared yet from the roadway.
The identity of the decedent – the driver of the van – will be released after next of kin is notified. Wright said he didn’t know if the truck driver had been injured.
“From what I understand, there was one person in each vehicle,” he said.
Other details of the crash were not immediately available and the cause remains under investigation.
Complete coverage will be published in the Wednesday edition of The Chronicle.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge