Saturday, March 1, 2014
WENATCHEE Jim Townsend is leading the charge for Okanogan basketball team.
On the strength of his shooting, the Bulldogs took a 37-26 halftime lead over the Vashon Island Pirates to the lockerroom.
Townsend racked up 10 points in the first quarter, and added 7 more in the second quarter. For the Pirates, Jessie Norton led scoring, with 8 points in the first quarter and 9 in the second quarter.
Townsend had an opportunity to extend the Bulldogs' lead with 1:04 left in the half, but was called for charging, a foul that brought the Vashon fans to their feet.
Townsend had another opportunity with 50 seconds left, but missed a free throw.
The winner of this game heads to state; the loser's season ends.
More like this story
- Burn ban extended for Methow Valley
- Last-minute Giving Tree donations sought
- Additional donations sought for Christmas baskets
- New NVH commissioners sworn in
- Local fans wait for 'The Last Jedi'
- Healthplanfinder sign up deadline looms
- Omak football fundraiser fruit arrives, pick up is now
- U.S. Navy sends apology letter to school
- Boys' basketball: Okanogan comes from behind to top Omak, 62-53
- Girls' basketball: Omak hangs on for 40-37 win over Okanogan