Monday, June 16, 2014
CHENEY Despite being eliminated in the tribal primary election, outgoing Colville Business Council Chairman Michael O. Finley has been named to the Eastern Washington University Board of Trustees.
Finley, who earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the university, was appointed by Gov. Jay Inslee.
His term begins July 1 and continues through Sept. 30, 2015. Finley will complete the unexpired term of Mark Mays, who died this spring.
Finley, who will leave the council in July after losing his re-election bid, was born and raised in Inchelium. He earned his bachelor of arts in American Indian studies in 2003 and a master of arts in history two years later, the university said.
“I am truly honored being bestowed such a distinguished position,” Finley said. “It is a responsibility I accept with humility, and I pledge to foster success with the university and the entire student body, in every discipline, and at every corner of the institution.
“This represents an opportunity to give back to the university that helped me realize my own potential, which in turn led to my prosperity."
Inslee praised Finley’s ability to meet the high expectations for such a position.
“Michael Finley will help the EWU Board of Trustees strengthen the university,” Inslee said. “He understands the importance of operating in a transparent, responsive and cost-efficient manner that will achieve results and benefit students.”
Finley received the Cecil Dryden Alumni Award from Eastern's Department of History in 2011. The award goes to a distinguished graduate in that field. He has co-authored a book on American Indian history and continues to serve on national tribal councils.
Trustees on the board set the strategic direction of the university and help ensure that Eastern is academically and financially accountable and successful.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge