Tuesday, July 29, 2014
WAUCONDA -A fire reported Tuesday afternoon is burning along the West Fork of Cougar Creek in northeast Okanogan County.
A Level 3 (highest) evacuation alert has been issued for the area, but so far only one home has been threatened in the sparsely populated area, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
The fire, of unknown origin, has burned across about 20 acres, and is burning uphill toward Toroda Creek.
The Wauconda Community Hall, 129 Toroda Creek Road, has been opened in case people evacuate and need a place to stay, Rogers said.
No fire district serves the area, which is in a state Department of Natural Resources-protected area.
More like this story
- PUD hopefuls share their views at forum
- Thunderstorm rips through county
- Ready, set, Pokemon Go! Online game craze hits the Okanogan
- New curtains installed at PAC
- Officials issue hazardous weather outlook
- Former NVH employee ‘disappointed’ with district
- DNR to add fire base in Omak
- Lynx could be added to state endangered list
- Hit-and-run crash kills Brewster teacher
- Bar-S Foods Company recalls hot dogs, corn dogs
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge