Tuesday, July 29, 2014
WAUCONDA -A fire reported Tuesday afternoon is burning along the West Fork of Cougar Creek in northeast Okanogan County.
A Level 3 (highest) evacuation alert has been issued for the area, but so far only one home has been threatened in the sparsely populated area, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
The fire, of unknown origin, has burned across about 20 acres, and is burning uphill toward Toroda Creek.
The Wauconda Community Hall, 129 Toroda Creek Road, has been opened in case people evacuate and need a place to stay, Rogers said.
No fire district serves the area, which is in a state Department of Natural Resources-protected area.
More like this story
- Rotary NCW sports awards: Finalists announced
- Rotary Fish Derby: Arnold takes grand champion prize
- Museum opening Memorial Day weekend
- Lake Roosevelt to open for white sturgeon fishing
- State golf: Oroville's Jordyn Smith finishes 19th in state
- Horse racing will be at fair
- Salmon Creek closed between Spring Coulee and Danker Cut-off Road
- Keller Ferry out of service
- PUD honors employees
- 820 (2017-112 May 10, 17) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS