Tuesday, July 29, 2014
WAUCONDA -A fire reported Tuesday afternoon is burning along the West Fork of Cougar Creek in northeast Okanogan County.
A Level 3 (highest) evacuation alert has been issued for the area, but so far only one home has been threatened in the sparsely populated area, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
The fire, of unknown origin, has burned across about 20 acres, and is burning uphill toward Toroda Creek.
The Wauconda Community Hall, 129 Toroda Creek Road, has been opened in case people evacuate and need a place to stay, Rogers said.
No fire district serves the area, which is in a state Department of Natural Resources-protected area.
More like this story
- DNR to permit campfires west of Cascades
- Commissioners to make decision on fair date
- Thew named Chronicle managing editor
- Special fair advisory meeting planned tonight
- Kettle Complex fires see ‘increased’ fire behavior
- Crews continue battling Kettle Complex fires
- Tucannon Fire nearly contained
- Carpenter Road Fire now 45 percent contained
- Wolverine Fire meeting set for Plain
- Grant County deputy fired
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge