Tuesday, July 29, 2014
WAUCONDA -A fire reported Tuesday afternoon is burning along the West Fork of Cougar Creek in northeast Okanogan County.
A Level 3 (highest) evacuation alert has been issued for the area, but so far only one home has been threatened in the sparsely populated area, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
The fire, of unknown origin, has burned across about 20 acres, and is burning uphill toward Toroda Creek.
The Wauconda Community Hall, 129 Toroda Creek Road, has been opened in case people evacuate and need a place to stay, Rogers said.
No fire district serves the area, which is in a state Department of Natural Resources-protected area.
More like this story
- Dance hall era
- Conconully Lake Resort closes
- County considers health board’s future
- High school football scores
- High winds expected Friday, Saturday
- Manson cancels football game with Okanogan
- Feed raises $5,500 for injured player
- Coachmasters claim drag racing title
- Escamilla runs to top freshman time
- Brewster, Okanogan gain league wins
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge