Tuesday, July 29, 2014
WAUCONDA -A fire reported Tuesday afternoon is burning along the West Fork of Cougar Creek in northeast Okanogan County.
A Level 3 (highest) evacuation alert has been issued for the area, but so far only one home has been threatened in the sparsely populated area, Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
The fire, of unknown origin, has burned across about 20 acres, and is burning uphill toward Toroda Creek.
The Wauconda Community Hall, 129 Toroda Creek Road, has been opened in case people evacuate and need a place to stay, Rogers said.
No fire district serves the area, which is in a state Department of Natural Resources-protected area.
More like this story
- Power outage reported in Highway 20, Malott and Twisp areas
- Student earns Eagle rank
- Snow survey: Yup, lots of water
- Tribe offers bounty on pike
- Highway clearing continues
- Distracted driving bill approved
- Tonasket ponders annexation
- Newhouse bows out of meeting; staff will relay messages
- State House honors Mel Tonasket
- 810 (2017-099 April 19) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 889 of the City of Brewster, Washington