Saturday, July 19, 2014
BEVERLY – The Grant County Sheriff’s Office has issued a Level 1 evacuation warning (the lowest level) for the communities of Beverly, Wanapum Village and Shawanna in the southwest portion of the county.
A wildfire is burning across the river in Kittitas County, Sheriff Tom Jones said. Winds are high.
The warning came at midnight Saturday.
State Highway 243 was closed Friday night between state Highway 26, just south of Interstate 90 at Vantage, and Mattawa because of poor visibility, but reopened Saturday morning.
Grant County firefighters spent Friday night staged and ready to extinguish a fire on an abandoned railroad trestle that crosses the river and connects Grant and Kittitas counties.
The Saddle Mountain fire burned to the Kittitas shoreline and ignited the trestle. Winds kept the trestle fire from burning across the river, but officials were worried a shift in the wind might cause the blaze to cross into Grant County.
More like this story
- Tonasket basketball coach reinstated
- Mumps case reported in Okanogan County
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-035 Feb. 15, 22) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BID TOWN OF TWISP - PUBLIC WORKS SHOP
- 820 (2017-039 Feb. 15, 22) Notice is hereby given that WDFW of Olympia WA filed an application
- 820 (2017-040 Feb. 22, March 1, 8) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-041 Feb. 22, March 1) BOARD MEMBER NEEDED!
- 820 (2017-042 Feb. 22) MEETING NOTICE