Saturday, July 19, 2014
BEVERLY – The Grant County Sheriff’s Office has issued a Level 1 evacuation warning (the lowest level) for the communities of Beverly, Wanapum Village and Shawanna in the southwest portion of the county.
A wildfire is burning across the river in Kittitas County, Sheriff Tom Jones said. Winds are high.
The warning came at midnight Saturday.
State Highway 243 was closed Friday night between state Highway 26, just south of Interstate 90 at Vantage, and Mattawa because of poor visibility, but reopened Saturday morning.
Grant County firefighters spent Friday night staged and ready to extinguish a fire on an abandoned railroad trestle that crosses the river and connects Grant and Kittitas counties.
The Saddle Mountain fire burned to the Kittitas shoreline and ignited the trestle. Winds kept the trestle fire from burning across the river, but officials were worried a shift in the wind might cause the blaze to cross into Grant County.
More like this story
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-179 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-180 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-166 April 20, 27) CITY OF OKANOGAN MUNICIPAL SWIMMING POOL
- 800 (2016-167 April 20, 27) CITY OF BREWSTER INVITATION TO BID
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge