Saturday, July 19, 2014
BEVERLY – The Grant County Sheriff’s Office has issued a Level 1 evacuation warning (the lowest level) for the communities of Beverly, Wanapum Village and Shawanna in the southwest portion of the county.
A wildfire is burning across the river in Kittitas County, Sheriff Tom Jones said. Winds are high.
The warning came at midnight Saturday.
State Highway 243 was closed Friday night between state Highway 26, just south of Interstate 90 at Vantage, and Mattawa because of poor visibility, but reopened Saturday morning.
Grant County firefighters spent Friday night staged and ready to extinguish a fire on an abandoned railroad trestle that crosses the river and connects Grant and Kittitas counties.
The Saddle Mountain fire burned to the Kittitas shoreline and ignited the trestle. Winds kept the trestle fire from burning across the river, but officials were worried a shift in the wind might cause the blaze to cross into Grant County.
More like this story
- Engle takes state 2B javelin crown
- 3.1 million Tommee Tippee Sippee cups recalled
- Fire safety urged over holiday weekend
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge