Saturday, July 19, 2014
BEVERLY – The Grant County Sheriff’s Office has issued a Level 1 evacuation warning (the lowest level) for the communities of Beverly, Wanapum Village and Shawanna in the southwest portion of the county.
A wildfire is burning across the river in Kittitas County, Sheriff Tom Jones said. Winds are high.
The warning came at midnight Saturday.
State Highway 243 was closed Friday night between state Highway 26, just south of Interstate 90 at Vantage, and Mattawa because of poor visibility, but reopened Saturday morning.
Grant County firefighters spent Friday night staged and ready to extinguish a fire on an abandoned railroad trestle that crosses the river and connects Grant and Kittitas counties.
The Saddle Mountain fire burned to the Kittitas shoreline and ignited the trestle. Winds kept the trestle fire from burning across the river, but officials were worried a shift in the wind might cause the blaze to cross into Grant County.
More like this story
- Rule change closes some steelhead fishing
- Okanogan claims state 1B/2B soccer title
- Okanogan returns to state 2B football semifinals
- Emergency declared
- Murder trial enters second week in court
- Elementary students honor veterans
- NFHS to broadcast state soccer finals
- Statewide wind storms leave little damage in Okanogan County
- Prosecutor gives opening argument in Jennings murder trial
- Suspect takes his own life in standoff