Friday, July 18, 2014
OKANOGAN U.S. Highway 97 has reopened south of Malott to alternating, one-way local traffic.
The wildfire that heavily damaged Pateros and the Chiliwist jumped the Okanogan River south of Malott, burning along U.S. Highway 97, which served as a fire break, between milepost 271 and 274.
As of 10 a.m. Friday, the state Department of Transportation said U.S. Highway 97 remains closed from milepost 240 to milepost 278, just north of Chelan to the scale house at the intersection of U.S. Highway 97 and state Highway 17.
State Highway 153 from Pateros to Twisp has reopened, but state Highway 20 from milepost 206 (Finley Canyon) to milepost 215 (Loup Loup Pass) remains closed.
Brewster was not touched by the fire, although the hills above town were charred, as were parts of Brewster Flat.
The fire also burned into the Chiliwist, with some homes lost. Active fire remains in the Davis Canyon area south of the Chiliwist.
In Pateros, there’s heavy damage, with some businesses and homes burned. The school appears to be OK.
The fire is burning on the hill south of town, between the Methow River and Alta Lake.
Okanogan County has closed several roads because of the Carlton Complex wildfires.
As of 10 a.m. Friday, closures include Stokes, Gold Creek, Gold Creek Loop, Texas Creek, Libby Creek, Burma, French Creek, Bill Shaw, Watson Draw, Bear Creek, Balky Hill, Lester, Upper Beaver Creek, Davis Lake, Indian Dan Canyon, Paradise Hill, Benson Creek, Finley Canyon, Lower Beaver Creek and Starr roads.
More like this story
- Weather brings school delays, closures
- McDonald's plans to introduce new ‘Big Mac' sizes
- Forever stamp prices increase Sunday
- More wet weather in the forecast
- Some after school activities, sports cancelled
- Storm prompts clinic cancelations
- Winter storm brings school delays, closures
- 810 (2017-009 Jan. 11, 18) REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS (RFQ) AIRPORT MASTER PLAN
- 810 (2017-012 Jan. 18) Notice of Public Hearing
- 810 (2017-016 Jan. 18) Notice of Public Hearing Micro Processing/Manufacturing OKA RA 16-1
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge