Friday, July 18, 2014
OKANOGAN U.S. Highway 97 has reopened south of Malott to alternating, one-way local traffic.
The wildfire that heavily damaged Pateros and the Chiliwist jumped the Okanogan River south of Malott, burning along U.S. Highway 97, which served as a fire break, between milepost 271 and 274.
As of 10 a.m. Friday, the state Department of Transportation said U.S. Highway 97 remains closed from milepost 240 to milepost 278, just north of Chelan to the scale house at the intersection of U.S. Highway 97 and state Highway 17.
State Highway 153 from Pateros to Twisp has reopened, but state Highway 20 from milepost 206 (Finley Canyon) to milepost 215 (Loup Loup Pass) remains closed.
Brewster was not touched by the fire, although the hills above town were charred, as were parts of Brewster Flat.
The fire also burned into the Chiliwist, with some homes lost. Active fire remains in the Davis Canyon area south of the Chiliwist.
In Pateros, there’s heavy damage, with some businesses and homes burned. The school appears to be OK.
The fire is burning on the hill south of town, between the Methow River and Alta Lake.
Okanogan County has closed several roads because of the Carlton Complex wildfires.
As of 10 a.m. Friday, closures include Stokes, Gold Creek, Gold Creek Loop, Texas Creek, Libby Creek, Burma, French Creek, Bill Shaw, Watson Draw, Bear Creek, Balky Hill, Lester, Upper Beaver Creek, Davis Lake, Indian Dan Canyon, Paradise Hill, Benson Creek, Finley Canyon, Lower Beaver Creek and Starr roads.
More like this story
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
- 800 (2016-235 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-237 May 25, June 1) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING (Supplemental Appropriation)
- 800 (2016-238 May 25) Notice of Final SEPA Determination and Hearing Date CUP 2016-2 “N.O. Paws
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge