Wednesday, July 9, 2014
MANSFIELD Crews are winding down work on the Rock Hill Fire after Tuesdays efforts made significant progress.
There are now 142 firefighters working to contain the blaze that started near McNeil Canyon, down from the initial 247, officials said.
They are mopping up the perimeter of the fire, officials said.
The fire, now 70 percent contained, started the morning of July 6 from causes that are still under investigation, officials said, noting it has since burned 2,208 acres of brush and grass and some pine on the southern end.
“Level 1 and 2 evacuations are still in effect and will remain in effect until tomorrow when the Sheriff’s Office re-evaluates,” fire command spokesman Ron Fryer said. “And there are about 45 homes affected by that.”
According to the Northwest Interagency Coordination Center website, two residences have been destroyed and six structures have been damaged.
One firefighter suffered a heat-related injury, Fryer said. He has since been treated and released.
Roads in the area of the fire remain open.
Nearby, fire crews are also working on growing fires in the Entiat and Bridgeport areas.
Fire crews combatting a blaze near Keller are mopping up that fire.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge