Wednesday, July 9, 2014
BRIDGEPORT A small blaze is growing quickly into a wildfire near Highland Orchard Road.
According to Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal, the fire was reported at 8:26 a.m.
"Deputies arrived first on the scene and assessed the fire as burning quickly through old-growth sage brush," he said. "Fire crews arrived on the scene and soon asked for a second alarm."
As of 11 a.m., the fire had grown to about 200 acres, the sheriff said, noting the blaze is moving toward the east.
"It is fanned by winds and has already jumped one fire line," he said. "Deputies have done several evacuation notices and state mobilization has been requested.
Douglas County firefighters are also currently battling a blaze in the McNeil Canyon area near Mansfield.
And several other fires are reported in areas around North-Central Washington, including Entiat, Wenatchee, Cashmere and Keller.
More like this story
- Rotary NCW sports awards: Finalists announced
- Rotary Fish Derby: Arnold takes grand champion prize
- Museum opening Memorial Day weekend
- Lake Roosevelt to open for white sturgeon fishing
- State golf: Oroville's Jordyn Smith finishes 19th in state
- Horse racing will be at fair
- Salmon Creek closed between Spring Coulee and Danker Cut-off Road
- Keller Ferry out of service
- PUD honors employees
- 820 (2017-112 May 10, 17) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS