Wednesday, July 9, 2014
BRIDGEPORT A small blaze is growing quickly into a wildfire near Highland Orchard Road.
According to Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal, the fire was reported at 8:26 a.m.
"Deputies arrived first on the scene and assessed the fire as burning quickly through old-growth sage brush," he said. "Fire crews arrived on the scene and soon asked for a second alarm."
As of 11 a.m., the fire had grown to about 200 acres, the sheriff said, noting the blaze is moving toward the east.
"It is fanned by winds and has already jumped one fire line," he said. "Deputies have done several evacuation notices and state mobilization has been requested.
Douglas County firefighters are also currently battling a blaze in the McNeil Canyon area near Mansfield.
And several other fires are reported in areas around North-Central Washington, including Entiat, Wenatchee, Cashmere and Keller.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge