Wednesday, July 9, 2014
BRIDGEPORT A small blaze is growing quickly into a wildfire near Highland Orchard Road.
According to Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal, the fire was reported at 8:26 a.m.
"Deputies arrived first on the scene and assessed the fire as burning quickly through old-growth sage brush," he said. "Fire crews arrived on the scene and soon asked for a second alarm."
As of 11 a.m., the fire had grown to about 200 acres, the sheriff said, noting the blaze is moving toward the east.
"It is fanned by winds and has already jumped one fire line," he said. "Deputies have done several evacuation notices and state mobilization has been requested.
Douglas County firefighters are also currently battling a blaze in the McNeil Canyon area near Mansfield.
And several other fires are reported in areas around North-Central Washington, including Entiat, Wenatchee, Cashmere and Keller.
More like this story
- Engle takes state 2B javelin crown
- 3.1 million Tommee Tippee Sippee cups recalled
- Fire safety urged over holiday weekend
- Guthrie music remembered Saturday
- Youth soccer tourney results announced
- Oxygen airs show about Tonasket murder
- 800 (2016-202 May 18, 25, June 1)
- 800 (2016-213 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-214 May 18, 25) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 800 (2016-233 May 25) TONASKET EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES DISTRICT NOTICE
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge