Wednesday, July 9, 2014
BRIDGEPORT A small blaze is growing quickly into a wildfire near Highland Orchard Road.
According to Douglas County Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal, the fire was reported at 8:26 a.m.
"Deputies arrived first on the scene and assessed the fire as burning quickly through old-growth sage brush," he said. "Fire crews arrived on the scene and soon asked for a second alarm."
As of 11 a.m., the fire had grown to about 200 acres, the sheriff said, noting the blaze is moving toward the east.
"It is fanned by winds and has already jumped one fire line," he said. "Deputies have done several evacuation notices and state mobilization has been requested.
Douglas County firefighters are also currently battling a blaze in the McNeil Canyon area near Mansfield.
And several other fires are reported in areas around North-Central Washington, including Entiat, Wenatchee, Cashmere and Keller.
More like this story
- 800 (2017-265 Nov. 22, 29) City of Omak Notice of Final 2018 Budget Public Hearing Omak City Council
- 800 (2017-325 Nov. 22) CITY OF OKANOGAN STREET CLOSURE
- (2017-323 Nov. 22, 29 Dec. 6) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2017-324 Nov. 22, 29 Dec. 6) OKANGAN IRRIGATION DISTRICT NOTICE OF EQUALIZATION
- 820 (2017-326 Nov. 22) LEGAL NOTICE NEGOTIATION OF STATE LEASES WITH EXISTING LESSEES BETWEEN JANUARY AND MARCH 2018 EXPIRES: MAY 2018
- Garcia named CWL’s Player of the Year
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Love connecting math with sports
- Former hospital CEO sues for records
- Christmas at the End of the Road runs Nov. 24-25
- Winthrop council reviews draft 2018 budget