Wednesday, January 29, 2014
OMAK Finding two people in his home, a local resident introduced the would-be burglars to the business end of a baseball bat Saturday afternoon.
Dustin C. Smith, 27, was able to subdue one of the alleged burglars without losing any of his belongings.
The subdued suspect was identified as Shanyce R. Rodriguez, 20, of Omak and Oroville, Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Monday. The other suspect, a man, escaped.
“While we don’t recommend this all the time, we definitely do not have a problem with Mr. Smith protecting his family or his property, especially in his residence,” Rogers said.
“I wonder if these two will think twice the next time they break into someone’s home.”
According to Rogers, Smith was at a birthday party with his wife, but had to return to their Omak-Riverside East Side Road home about 4:55 p.m. to pick up something.
As they their home, Smith saw a male and a female burglarizing there residence, Rogers said, noting he grabbed a baseball and hit both the male and the female several times.
“Smith said the male suspect was in the back bedroom, which was dark at the time, the sheriff said. “Smith said he wasn’t taking any chances.”
The male suspect was able to escape the home, but not the woman, Rogers said.
Smith detained the woman – later identified as Rodriguez – until deputies could arrive.
Rogers said Rodriguez suffered minor injuries and was held overnight at Mid-Valley Hospital for a possible concussion.
On Sunday, she was released from the hospital and booked into the Okanogan County Jail for burglary and malicious mischief, Rogers said.
Deputies are following leads on the male suspect that fled the scene, he said.
“I am sure he is a little banged up, too,” Rogers said. “Smith said he didn’t know how many times he hit the suspect.”
More like this story
- Crews continue battling Kettle Complex fires
- Tucannon Fire nearly contained
- Carpenter Road Fire now 45 percent contained
- Wolverine Fire meeting set for Plain
- Grant County deputy fired
- 800 (2015-448 Aug. 26, Sept 2, 9, 16) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 800 2015-453 Sept. 2) Twisp River Floodplain, SEPA 2015-7 Final SEPA Determination
- 820 (2015-379 July 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26, Sept. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-380 July 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26 Sept. 2) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-395 July 29, Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26, Sept.2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN.
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge