Wednesday, January 29, 2014
OMAK Finding two people in his home, a local resident introduced the would-be burglars to the business end of a baseball bat Saturday afternoon.
Dustin C. Smith, 27, was able to subdue one of the alleged burglars without losing any of his belongings.
The subdued suspect was identified as Shanyce R. Rodriguez, 20, of Omak and Oroville, Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said Monday. The other suspect, a man, escaped.
“While we don’t recommend this all the time, we definitely do not have a problem with Mr. Smith protecting his family or his property, especially in his residence,” Rogers said.
“I wonder if these two will think twice the next time they break into someone’s home.”
According to Rogers, Smith was at a birthday party with his wife, but had to return to their Omak-Riverside East Side Road home about 4:55 p.m. to pick up something.
As they their home, Smith saw a male and a female burglarizing there residence, Rogers said, noting he grabbed a baseball and hit both the male and the female several times.
“Smith said the male suspect was in the back bedroom, which was dark at the time, the sheriff said. “Smith said he wasn’t taking any chances.”
The male suspect was able to escape the home, but not the woman, Rogers said.
Smith detained the woman – later identified as Rodriguez – until deputies could arrive.
Rogers said Rodriguez suffered minor injuries and was held overnight at Mid-Valley Hospital for a possible concussion.
On Sunday, she was released from the hospital and booked into the Okanogan County Jail for burglary and malicious mischief, Rogers said.
Deputies are following leads on the male suspect that fled the scene, he said.
“I am sure he is a little banged up, too,” Rogers said. “Smith said he didn’t know how many times he hit the suspect.”
More like this story
- Week 5 football scores: Lake Roosevelt rolls past Oroville
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge