Friday, January 24, 2014
SELAH Douglas D. Peters of Selah has been appointed by Gov. Jay Inslee to serve on the State Parks and Recreation Commission.
“I am honored and happy to be joining the Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission,” Peters said. “We have a wonderful park system here in Washington. In fact, it’s one of our state’s best assets. I look forward to serving on the Commission to ensure that our state park system is healthy and strong, not just for today, but for our kids and grandkids.”
Peters’ six-year term began this week with a Commission meeting in Olympia. Peters was a founder of the Yakima Greenway Foundation and currently is on the board of the Yakima Greenway Endowment, originally formed to create an 11-mile-long recreation trail along the Naches and Yakima rivers.
He served as the first president of the Washington Chapter of the Nature Conservancy and now is on the steering committee for the Nature Conservancy Eastern Cascade Initiative. He has served over the years on a number of non-profit boards whose work focused on housing, education and the arts.
Peters is a current member of the Yakima Valley Community College Foundation Board and Yakima Symphony Orchestra.
Peters’ 42-year legal career included serving as city attorney of Selah and Naches and sustaining a private law practice in Central Washington. He was president of the Yakima County Bar Association and a founding member of the Washington State Trial Lawyers Association.
He and his wife Marj have four children and five grandchildren.
The State Parks and Recreation Commission is a seven-member board that sets policy to guide the state park system.
More like this story
- 50 years ago: Riverside may get new bridge
- 820 (2017-071 March 29, April 5) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY UNION GAP
- Board votes not to renew Landdeck's coaching contract
- North Valley Hospital begins administrator search
- 83 year-old woman with Alzheimer’s reported missing
- 820 (2017-057 March 8, 15, 22, 29, April 5, 12) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-067 March 22, 29, April 5) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2017-068 March 29, April 19) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO RCW CHAPTER 61.24
- 820 (2017-069 March 29) INVITATION TO BID
- 820 (2017-070 March 29, April 5) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY UNION GAP