Wednesday, January 22, 2014
OKANOGAN The efforts of several area organizations and dozens of volunteers prevented more than 260 tons of tires from ending up in the Okanogan County Central Landfill.
Okanogan County Public Health recently completed its county-wide tire disposal and recycling event, which began in the fall. More than 23,000 tires were disposed of or recycled from all areas of the county.
Organizers said the “tremendous success” of the event could not have been possible without the help of area students and football players who donated their time and energy to help dispose of the tires.
Public Health, the Okanogan County Public Works Department, the state Department of Ecology and Oak Harbor Freight placed tractor trailers at five locations in the county, collecting 35 trailers worth of tires.
The Okanogan Landfill had the most with 14 trailers, followed by nine from the Ellisforde Transfer Station. Twisp had seven, Brewster had four and Mazama had one.
Each local school participated with the students stacking and loading the tires at each event, organizers said.
More like this story
- Seven piles of tires in county; six in Goldendale, one in Lyle
- Despite rising recycling numbers across the state, Valley residents not following the trend
- Health district offers burned debris cleanup tips
- Trash, recycles go out by container load in annual effort
- Garbage companies hike customer rates
- Dance hall era
- Conconully Lake Resort closes
- County considers health board’s future
- High school football scores
- High winds expected Friday, Saturday
- Manson cancels football game with Okanogan
- Feed raises $5,500 for injured player
- Coachmasters claim drag racing title
- Escamilla runs to top freshman time
- Brewster, Okanogan gain league wins
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge