Wednesday, January 22, 2014
I’ve never had to write one of these columns. At my last newspaper, I was released unceremoniously, the victim of a bad newspaper economy and — in my humble opinion — even worse decision-making.
But here it is. Farewell, Okanogan County.
It’s been fun — at times — but living in Omak never felt like home.
Pecking away at this column will be the final thing I do as managing editor of The Chronicle.
It’s certainly been a learning experience, there’s no doubt about that. Think about it — where else can a journalist cover city council meetings one evening and then strap on ice cleats for a heated round of outhousing races just a couple days later?
Where else can you find a sporting event as intense as the World-Famous Suicide Race one month and then something as low-brow (pun somewhat intended) as the weiner dog races at the Okanogan County Fairgrounds the next?
Festivals around this area are often the same way, ranging from the typical to the abnormal. In a rural area, people need to come up with their own types of fun. Most festivals in the region tend to fall in the rather tame category.
But then there are the unusual Human-Fairy Congress, the massive Okanogan Family Faire and the fun-loving, irreverent events in Conconully.
So many events fit into the category “Only in Okanogan County.”
I’m not sure where I’m going to end up. But I’ll never forget this place.
Garrett Rudolph is the managing editor of The Chronicle. He can be reached at 509-826-1110 or via email at email@example.com.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge