Wednesday, January 22, 2014
I’ve never had to write one of these columns. At my last newspaper, I was released unceremoniously, the victim of a bad newspaper economy and — in my humble opinion — even worse decision-making.
But here it is. Farewell, Okanogan County.
It’s been fun — at times — but living in Omak never felt like home.
Pecking away at this column will be the final thing I do as managing editor of The Chronicle.
It’s certainly been a learning experience, there’s no doubt about that. Think about it — where else can a journalist cover city council meetings one evening and then strap on ice cleats for a heated round of outhousing races just a couple days later?
Where else can you find a sporting event as intense as the World-Famous Suicide Race one month and then something as low-brow (pun somewhat intended) as the weiner dog races at the Okanogan County Fairgrounds the next?
Festivals around this area are often the same way, ranging from the typical to the abnormal. In a rural area, people need to come up with their own types of fun. Most festivals in the region tend to fall in the rather tame category.
But then there are the unusual Human-Fairy Congress, the massive Okanogan Family Faire and the fun-loving, irreverent events in Conconully.
So many events fit into the category “Only in Okanogan County.”
I’m not sure where I’m going to end up. But I’ll never forget this place.
Garrett Rudolph is the managing editor of The Chronicle. He can be reached at 509-826-1110 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More like this story
- School officials get earful
- School bond issues going down in defeat
- Ice storm brings closures, hazardous travel
- School delays, closures planned
- 810 (2017-036 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1173
- 810 (2017-037 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1172
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-023 Feb. 1, 08, 15) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY