Wednesday, January 22, 2014
I’ve never had to write one of these columns. At my last newspaper, I was released unceremoniously, the victim of a bad newspaper economy and — in my humble opinion — even worse decision-making.
But here it is. Farewell, Okanogan County.
It’s been fun — at times — but living in Omak never felt like home.
Pecking away at this column will be the final thing I do as managing editor of The Chronicle.
It’s certainly been a learning experience, there’s no doubt about that. Think about it — where else can a journalist cover city council meetings one evening and then strap on ice cleats for a heated round of outhousing races just a couple days later?
Where else can you find a sporting event as intense as the World-Famous Suicide Race one month and then something as low-brow (pun somewhat intended) as the weiner dog races at the Okanogan County Fairgrounds the next?
Festivals around this area are often the same way, ranging from the typical to the abnormal. In a rural area, people need to come up with their own types of fun. Most festivals in the region tend to fall in the rather tame category.
But then there are the unusual Human-Fairy Congress, the massive Okanogan Family Faire and the fun-loving, irreverent events in Conconully.
So many events fit into the category “Only in Okanogan County.”
I’m not sure where I’m going to end up. But I’ll never forget this place.
Garrett Rudolph is the managing editor of The Chronicle. He can be reached at 509-826-1110 or via email at email@example.com.
More like this story
- DNR issues statewide burn ban
- Gubernatorial candidate debate planned tomorrow
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge