Wednesday, January 22, 2014
I’ve never had to write one of these columns. At my last newspaper, I was released unceremoniously, the victim of a bad newspaper economy and — in my humble opinion — even worse decision-making.
But here it is. Farewell, Okanogan County.
It’s been fun — at times — but living in Omak never felt like home.
Pecking away at this column will be the final thing I do as managing editor of The Chronicle.
It’s certainly been a learning experience, there’s no doubt about that. Think about it — where else can a journalist cover city council meetings one evening and then strap on ice cleats for a heated round of outhousing races just a couple days later?
Where else can you find a sporting event as intense as the World-Famous Suicide Race one month and then something as low-brow (pun somewhat intended) as the weiner dog races at the Okanogan County Fairgrounds the next?
Festivals around this area are often the same way, ranging from the typical to the abnormal. In a rural area, people need to come up with their own types of fun. Most festivals in the region tend to fall in the rather tame category.
But then there are the unusual Human-Fairy Congress, the massive Okanogan Family Faire and the fun-loving, irreverent events in Conconully.
So many events fit into the category “Only in Okanogan County.”
I’m not sure where I’m going to end up. But I’ll never forget this place.
Garrett Rudolph is the managing editor of The Chronicle. He can be reached at 509-826-1110 or via email at email@example.com.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge