Tuesday, January 21, 2014
OLYMPIA A Port Orchard Republican has introduced a bill that would allow men to challenge child support orders if genetic tests determine he's not the father.
Senate Bill 5997, which was the subject of a public hearing Monday, would also generally prevent a judge from denying genetic testing and set a guideline that genetic testing is in the best interest of a child.
Rep. Jan Angel introduced the bill, which would allow a man to sever court-ordered support obligations anytime within two years of learning he is not a child's biological father.
“When a man has found out through genetic testing that a child is not his child, he has no recourse,” Angel said Monday during the bill's public hearing before the Senate Law and Justice Committee. “There is no way for him to go through the process to actually get out from under paying child support that isn’t his.”
Under existing state law, men are generally assumed to be the father if they were married to a child's mother close to the child's birth. The current law only allows a four-year window to challenge paternity from the time support orders are issued.
Angel's proposed bill would override child support orders if paternity testing show's a man is not the child's father.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge