Friday, January 17, 2014
MANSFIELD A Waterville man was killed Thursday afternoon after his vehicle was struck by an unmarked Douglas County Sheriff’s Office vehicle.
Robin H. Foster, 27, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after the 3:29 p.m. crash near Milepost 5, west of town and north of Withrow.
Deputy Richard M. Poppie, 42, of Waterville, was the driver of the Sheriff’s Office vehicle. He sustained injuries and was transported to Confluence Health hospital in Wenatchee.
Poppie’s condition was not immediately available.
According to the Washington State Patrol, Foster was driving a 1982 Datsun pickup westbound on C Road Northwest and Poppie was northbound on State Highway 172 when the crash occurred.
Highway 172 passes through Withrow and connects U.S. Highway 2 with Mansfield. The highway was closed in the crash vicinity until 8:34 p.m.
The Sheriff’s Office’s 2008 Ford Expedition slammed into the driver’s side of Foster’s pickup in the intersection of the two rural roads, the State Patrol report said.
Foster’s pickup came to rest on the southbound shoulder of the highway, the report said. Poppie’s SUV overturned and stopped on its side on the northbound should.
Poppie was wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, the State Patrol reported. But it was unknown if Foster was wearing his.
And it is unknown if alcohol or drugs were a factor in the crash, the report said.
Both vehicles have been impounded in the Washington State Patrol’s bullpen in Wenatchee.
The crash remains under investigation by the State Patrol.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge