Monday, January 13, 2014
OMAK "The old (Winthrop) record was 46, set in 1999. You smashed that record."
- Meteorologist Steve Bodnar
Warm winter temperatures smashed previous records today across Okanogan County.
According to National Weather Service Meteorologist Steve Bodnar, the city hit a region high temperature of 61 degrees today.
"The record (for Jan. 13) was 59, set in 1945," Bodnar said, adding that Winthrop, too, set a record today with 53 degrees today.
"The old record was 46, set in 1999," he said. "You smashed that record."
Grand Coulee-area residents said they were sure they had record warm temperartures, too, today. But the Weather Service said numbers for the Coulee area won't be released until Tuesday.
Omak also posted a record high temperature Saturday, while Republic fell 1 degree short.
Omak's temperature Saturday reached 52 degrees, Weather Service records show. The previous Jan. 11 record, set in 1932, was 48 degrees.
In Republic, the temperature Saturday reached 43 degrees, records show. The previous Jan. 11 record was 44, set in 1983.
Bodnar said area residents can expect to see continued warmer-than-average temperatures for the next week. Normal lows for mid-January are about 21 degrees and normal highs are about 33 degrees, he said.
"There's not much sign of precipitation, either," he said.
For more on recent warm weather, see this Wednesday's print edition and e-edition of The Chronicle.
- Electricity may be restored tomorrow to Omak flatsElectricity should be restored by late Friday to areas of the Omak flats and Riverside Cutoff, Greenacres and Johnson Creek ...
- High winds to fan Ferry County firesIntense fire behavior is expected today throughout Ferry County as officials from the National Weather Service are predicting high winds ...
- North Star Fire continues burning northwardThe North Star Fire, burning mostly on the Colville Indian Reservation, has blackened 170,000 acres of forest, brush and grass.
- Leads sought on homemade bomb in Grant CountyA homemade explosive device found along a road Wednesday evening was neutralized by the Richland Police Bomb Squad and Grant ...
More like this story
- Electricity may be restored tomorrow to Omak flats
- High winds to fan Ferry County fires
- North Star Fire continues burning northward
- Leads sought on homemade bomb in Grant County
- Donation center open to all fire victims
- Red Flag Warning issued for winds, low humidity
- Fire relief center set up in downtown Okanogan
- North Star Fire continues, more evacuation notices issued
- Okanogan Complex now 17 percent contained
- Carpenter Road Fire grows 457 acres overnight
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge