Friday, January 10, 2014
OLYMPIA The state Court of Appeals has upheld the first-degree murder conviction of Tansy Fae-Arwen Mathis in the 2009 death of Michelle Kitterman.
In an unpublished opinion issued Thursday, the court rejected Mathis’ argument that instructions given to the jury were flawed.
Mathis is one of four people convicted in Kitterman’s death.
In her appeal, she alleged errors in two jury instructions, one regarding factors relied on by the state for its charge of aggravated murder and another on how the jury should complete the deadly weapon enhancement special verdict form.
The court found one of the instructions was flawed, but the error was harmless given the jury’s finding on a second factor supporting conviction, the court said.
Kitterman, 25, was found dead March 1, 2009, beside Stalder Road southwest of Tonasket, where she lived. She had been stabbed multiple times with an three-sided file..
Kitterman was pregnant at the time of her death.
In addition to Mathis, Lacey Hirst-Pavek, David E. Richards and Brent L. Phillips were convicted in the slaying.
Phillips pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter. Richards was found guilty of second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter.
Hirst-Pavek was convicted of first-degree murder and manslaughter.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge