Wednesday, January 8, 2014
TONASKET Amateur Athletic Union basketball games got under way Saturday for many of the county’s boys and girls in grades three to six.
Teams competing are from Omak, Okanogan, Oroville, Bridgeport, Brewster, Pateros and Methow Valley, commissioner Ryan Lafferty said.
Complete scores were not available as of The Chronicle’s Monday deadline.
At Omak, Oroville did not have a third-grade boys team. Omak split its players, taking on teams from Colville and Tonasket.
Omak at Tonasket, boys
Sixth-grade, Omak 65, Oroville 9.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 18, Omak 16.
Fourth-grade, Omak 34, Oroville 0.
Third-grade, Colville 26, Omak 12.
Third-grade, Tonasket 56, Omak 6.
Sixth-grade, Oroville 32, Omak 22.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 7.
Fourth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 10.
Third-grade, Omak 28, Oroville 20.
Okanogan misses out
In Okanogan, no coach could be found for the sixth-grade boys, Lafferty said of seven or eight players who signed up.
Last year, the sixth-grade traveling team coach also coached the youth team, Lafferty said.
“This worked very well last year. However, the parent that coached the league team was a parent of a kid on the traveling team, which meant he missed quite a few of his own kid’s games,” Lafferty said, noting that coach is working only with the traveling team this year.
“I tried to get a league team together, but we could not get anybody to step up to coach,” said Lafferty. “If I would have had a mother say she would just open the gym and supervise, I would have said OK.”
Lafferty said he’s kept busy running the league and coaching his daughter’s fourth-grade team.
“I was hoping somebody would step up,” he said. “I don’t like turning kids away.”
More like this story
- Volkssport event planned in Winthrop
- Electrical outage lead to early dismissal in Bridgeport
- Tribe seeks information on missing teen
- Lake Roosevelt kicks off homecoming season next week
- BOWLING: Ludeman rolls 711 series at Valley Lanes
- WDFW plans to conduct controlled burns on two wildlife areas if conditions allow
- OK Friendly Car Club to meet Oct. 1 for cars, coffee
- Ride a horse across the Loup on Sept. 30
- Outlaw Motorsports puts on truck races Saturday
- Autumn Leaf Run returns for 16th year