Wednesday, January 8, 2014
TONASKET Amateur Athletic Union basketball games got under way Saturday for many of the county’s boys and girls in grades three to six.
Teams competing are from Omak, Okanogan, Oroville, Bridgeport, Brewster, Pateros and Methow Valley, commissioner Ryan Lafferty said.
Complete scores were not available as of The Chronicle’s Monday deadline.
At Omak, Oroville did not have a third-grade boys team. Omak split its players, taking on teams from Colville and Tonasket.
Omak at Tonasket, boys
Sixth-grade, Omak 65, Oroville 9.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 18, Omak 16.
Fourth-grade, Omak 34, Oroville 0.
Third-grade, Colville 26, Omak 12.
Third-grade, Tonasket 56, Omak 6.
Sixth-grade, Oroville 32, Omak 22.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 7.
Fourth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 10.
Third-grade, Omak 28, Oroville 20.
Okanogan misses out
In Okanogan, no coach could be found for the sixth-grade boys, Lafferty said of seven or eight players who signed up.
Last year, the sixth-grade traveling team coach also coached the youth team, Lafferty said.
“This worked very well last year. However, the parent that coached the league team was a parent of a kid on the traveling team, which meant he missed quite a few of his own kid’s games,” Lafferty said, noting that coach is working only with the traveling team this year.
“I tried to get a league team together, but we could not get anybody to step up to coach,” said Lafferty. “If I would have had a mother say she would just open the gym and supervise, I would have said OK.”
Lafferty said he’s kept busy running the league and coaching his daughter’s fourth-grade team.
“I was hoping somebody would step up,” he said. “I don’t like turning kids away.”
More like this story
- Wenatchee bass teams finishes first at Pateros
- Color big hit at this year's Pateros Color Run
- Lots of 3-on-3 hoops at Pateros Jamboree
- Rail trail promotional video released
- Truck, tractor pull set for Saturday
- Suicide Race qualifying starts Friday
- Farmers Insurance senior softball team churns out third
- Lewis inducted into Wenatchee's Senior Softball Hall of Fame
- Killer Whales top Bearcudas at swim meet
- Whales swamp Bullfrogs at swim meet