Wednesday, January 8, 2014
TONASKET Amateur Athletic Union basketball games got under way Saturday for many of the county’s boys and girls in grades three to six.
Teams competing are from Omak, Okanogan, Oroville, Bridgeport, Brewster, Pateros and Methow Valley, commissioner Ryan Lafferty said.
Complete scores were not available as of The Chronicle’s Monday deadline.
At Omak, Oroville did not have a third-grade boys team. Omak split its players, taking on teams from Colville and Tonasket.
Omak at Tonasket, boys
Sixth-grade, Omak 65, Oroville 9.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 18, Omak 16.
Fourth-grade, Omak 34, Oroville 0.
Third-grade, Colville 26, Omak 12.
Third-grade, Tonasket 56, Omak 6.
Sixth-grade, Oroville 32, Omak 22.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 7.
Fourth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 10.
Third-grade, Omak 28, Oroville 20.
Okanogan misses out
In Okanogan, no coach could be found for the sixth-grade boys, Lafferty said of seven or eight players who signed up.
Last year, the sixth-grade traveling team coach also coached the youth team, Lafferty said.
“This worked very well last year. However, the parent that coached the league team was a parent of a kid on the traveling team, which meant he missed quite a few of his own kid’s games,” Lafferty said, noting that coach is working only with the traveling team this year.
“I tried to get a league team together, but we could not get anybody to step up to coach,” said Lafferty. “If I would have had a mother say she would just open the gym and supervise, I would have said OK.”
Lafferty said he’s kept busy running the league and coaching his daughter’s fourth-grade team.
“I was hoping somebody would step up,” he said. “I don’t like turning kids away.”
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge