Wednesday, January 8, 2014
TONASKET Amateur Athletic Union basketball games got under way Saturday for many of the county’s boys and girls in grades three to six.
Teams competing are from Omak, Okanogan, Oroville, Bridgeport, Brewster, Pateros and Methow Valley, commissioner Ryan Lafferty said.
Complete scores were not available as of The Chronicle’s Monday deadline.
At Omak, Oroville did not have a third-grade boys team. Omak split its players, taking on teams from Colville and Tonasket.
Omak at Tonasket, boys
Sixth-grade, Omak 65, Oroville 9.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 18, Omak 16.
Fourth-grade, Omak 34, Oroville 0.
Third-grade, Colville 26, Omak 12.
Third-grade, Tonasket 56, Omak 6.
Sixth-grade, Oroville 32, Omak 22.
Fifth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 7.
Fourth-grade, Oroville 26, Omak 10.
Third-grade, Omak 28, Oroville 20.
Okanogan misses out
In Okanogan, no coach could be found for the sixth-grade boys, Lafferty said of seven or eight players who signed up.
Last year, the sixth-grade traveling team coach also coached the youth team, Lafferty said.
“This worked very well last year. However, the parent that coached the league team was a parent of a kid on the traveling team, which meant he missed quite a few of his own kid’s games,” Lafferty said, noting that coach is working only with the traveling team this year.
“I tried to get a league team together, but we could not get anybody to step up to coach,” said Lafferty. “If I would have had a mother say she would just open the gym and supervise, I would have said OK.”
Lafferty said he’s kept busy running the league and coaching his daughter’s fourth-grade team.
“I was hoping somebody would step up,” he said. “I don’t like turning kids away.”
More like this story
- School officials get earful
- School bond issues going down in defeat
- Ice storm brings closures, hazardous travel
- School delays, closures planned
- 810 (2017-036 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1173
- 810 (2017-037 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1172
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-023 Feb. 1, 08, 15) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY