Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Voters should pass the Tonasket bond
I want to encourage you to vote yes on the Tonasket school bond and levy in February. Those who know I am an old teacher might accuse me of being self-serving, but my reasons are self-serving in a way that may not be so obvious.
I want to live in a vibrant community. I see so many former students in vital roles in our community, and I believe a great education is an excellent foundation benefiting everyone.
As a community member, I want students coming out of our schools to be lifelong learners. When I go to the town library, I want the former student behind the counter to know how to operate the equipment. I want local contractors to have the skills to run a business.
It is a benefit not only to me, but to the community as a whole to have well-trained first responders. As I grow older, I worry that I might fall. There is a good chance the first responder who comes through my door is a graduate of our school right now.
From my time on the volunteer fire department, I know the hours of training required by first responders. If they are going to stay current on techniques and technology, they must have a solid basic education.
After a fall, I might spend time in the hospital. I will be served by other Tonasket graduates. Their math and science skills will need to be strong in the nursing field to help with my recovery.
For a vibrant community now and a safe community tomorrow, I encourage you to recognize the benefits we all receive from strong schools.
Please vote yes on both the Tonasket school bond and levy.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge