Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Voters should pass the Tonasket bond
I want to encourage you to vote yes on the Tonasket school bond and levy in February. Those who know I am an old teacher might accuse me of being self-serving, but my reasons are self-serving in a way that may not be so obvious.
I want to live in a vibrant community. I see so many former students in vital roles in our community, and I believe a great education is an excellent foundation benefiting everyone.
As a community member, I want students coming out of our schools to be lifelong learners. When I go to the town library, I want the former student behind the counter to know how to operate the equipment. I want local contractors to have the skills to run a business.
It is a benefit not only to me, but to the community as a whole to have well-trained first responders. As I grow older, I worry that I might fall. There is a good chance the first responder who comes through my door is a graduate of our school right now.
From my time on the volunteer fire department, I know the hours of training required by first responders. If they are going to stay current on techniques and technology, they must have a solid basic education.
After a fall, I might spend time in the hospital. I will be served by other Tonasket graduates. Their math and science skills will need to be strong in the nursing field to help with my recovery.
For a vibrant community now and a safe community tomorrow, I encourage you to recognize the benefits we all receive from strong schools.
Please vote yes on both the Tonasket school bond and levy.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge