Wednesday, January 1, 2014
Chronicle readers don’t miss an opportunity to let their views be known through letters to the editor.
This week, we continue a longstanding tradition of recognizing the year’s letter writers.
Letters to the editor provide an opportunity for readers to express their opinions on matters of public interest. They are a vital part of our country’s cherished rights to a free press and freedom of speech.
We appreciate people who write to the editor to express their views on local, state, national and international concerns.
We print nearly every letter we get — a few don’t make it because they are libelous or in poor taste, or make malicious attacks on individuals or businesses. A small handful arrives anonymously; they aren’t printed.
Freedom of speech — including expressing viewpoints, and questioning and criticizing the government — is one of these rights we hold dear.
With that right comes the obligation to exercise it responsibly. That’s why we at The Chronicle place restrictions on what gets printed.
We try to run them all, but we also try to be responsible in our role as a messenger.
Keep in mind, there is a 250-word limit on letters to the editor. Letters serve many purposes. You can get something off your chest, clarify a situation, ask a question, provide an answer or seek accountability from governmental bodies.
Letters can be mailed to The Omak-Okanogan County Chronicle, Attn. : Letter to the Editor, P.O. Box 553, Omak, WA 98841; dropped off at The Chronicle office, 618 Okoma Drive, Omak or emailed to news@omak chronicle.com.
We encourage you to exercise one of your basic rights by writing to us, as these readers did in 2013 (those with more than one letter are noted in parentheses):
Barker, Lee (3)
Bosco, Alfred N.
Cook, Richard W.
Covington, Truman V. (4)
Creveling, David W.
Donahue, Peter (2)
Enzensperger, Joseph (7)
Fancher, Pamela J.
Gibson, Mary Ellen
Hartzell, Ward (5)
Heath, Robert L. (2)
Hobart, Alice I.
Howe, Gail A.
Huhn, Bill (4)
James, Greg (6)
Johnson, Richard (2)
Kalberer, Jim and Claire
Klein, Richard C.
McDaniel, Laurel M.
Millard, Louis Ralph
Miller, James M. (3)
Morris, Rae and Mark
Peterson, Grant (2)
Ramirez, Dave and Kristi
Sand, Gretchen Anna
Slusher, William (5)
St. Clair, Roger
Stephens, Ralph Sr.
Storey, Eldean (2)
Talbott, James (2)
Talbott, Moreh James
Thompson, Rob (3)
Van Hees, Arnie
Wapato, Ruth M.
Wilson, Shawn K.
More like this story
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING