Tuesday, February 25, 2014
WENATCHEE Win or lose, the region will be represented at the state 1B girls basketball tournament.
What needs to be determined is if the team will be Republic or Pateros.
The Tigers and Nannies meet at 6 p.m. Saturday at Wenatchee High School, 1101 Millerdale Ave.
“From what I can tell, I think we are pretty evenly matched, kind of mirror images of each other,” Pateros coach Sheri Mortimer said. “Neither team has a dominating post player, we both shoot a lot 3's and both teams are scrappy. “
No. 3 state-ranked Pateros (18-1) enters the fray as a No. 1 seed while Republic (19-3) is a No. 2 seed after losing to state No. 2 ranked Wilbur-Creston (23-0), 53-50, in Saturday’s district championship game.
“It is going to be a close one,” Mortimer said. “I think the advantage we have is experience, Republic is pretty young, and bench depth. It will be bad that a good team is going to be left home when the dust settles.”
The winner advances to state the following week in Spokane. The loser is out.
Against the Wildcats, Republic fell behind 24-14 at the half before outscoring Wilbur-Creston 36-29 in the second half.
Shania Graham scored 18 points and Sierra McQuay had 16 points for Republic.
Republic (50) - McRae 2, Weltz 4, Koepke 0, Vaughn 2, Reeves, Beckwith 0, Graham 18, McQuay 16, Bowe 6, Lane 2.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge