Tuesday, February 25, 2014
WENATCHEE Win or lose, the region will be represented at the state 1B girls basketball tournament.
What needs to be determined is if the team will be Republic or Pateros.
The Tigers and Nannies meet at 6 p.m. Saturday at Wenatchee High School, 1101 Millerdale Ave.
“From what I can tell, I think we are pretty evenly matched, kind of mirror images of each other,” Pateros coach Sheri Mortimer said. “Neither team has a dominating post player, we both shoot a lot 3's and both teams are scrappy. “
No. 3 state-ranked Pateros (18-1) enters the fray as a No. 1 seed while Republic (19-3) is a No. 2 seed after losing to state No. 2 ranked Wilbur-Creston (23-0), 53-50, in Saturday’s district championship game.
“It is going to be a close one,” Mortimer said. “I think the advantage we have is experience, Republic is pretty young, and bench depth. It will be bad that a good team is going to be left home when the dust settles.”
The winner advances to state the following week in Spokane. The loser is out.
Against the Wildcats, Republic fell behind 24-14 at the half before outscoring Wilbur-Creston 36-29 in the second half.
Shania Graham scored 18 points and Sierra McQuay had 16 points for Republic.
Republic (50) - McRae 2, Weltz 4, Koepke 0, Vaughn 2, Reeves, Beckwith 0, Graham 18, McQuay 16, Bowe 6, Lane 2.
More like this story
- School officials get earful
- School bond issues going down in defeat
- Ice storm brings closures, hazardous travel
- School delays, closures planned
- 810 (2017-036 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1173
- 810 (2017-037 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1172
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-023 Feb. 1, 08, 15) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY