Tuesday, February 25, 2014
WENATCHEE Win or lose, the region will be represented at the state 1B girls basketball tournament.
What needs to be determined is if the team will be Republic or Pateros.
The Tigers and Nannies meet at 6 p.m. Saturday at Wenatchee High School, 1101 Millerdale Ave.
“From what I can tell, I think we are pretty evenly matched, kind of mirror images of each other,” Pateros coach Sheri Mortimer said. “Neither team has a dominating post player, we both shoot a lot 3's and both teams are scrappy. “
No. 3 state-ranked Pateros (18-1) enters the fray as a No. 1 seed while Republic (19-3) is a No. 2 seed after losing to state No. 2 ranked Wilbur-Creston (23-0), 53-50, in Saturday’s district championship game.
“It is going to be a close one,” Mortimer said. “I think the advantage we have is experience, Republic is pretty young, and bench depth. It will be bad that a good team is going to be left home when the dust settles.”
The winner advances to state the following week in Spokane. The loser is out.
Against the Wildcats, Republic fell behind 24-14 at the half before outscoring Wilbur-Creston 36-29 in the second half.
Shania Graham scored 18 points and Sierra McQuay had 16 points for Republic.
Republic (50) - McRae 2, Weltz 4, Koepke 0, Vaughn 2, Reeves, Beckwith 0, Graham 18, McQuay 16, Bowe 6, Lane 2.
More like this story
- Burn bans issued for Okanogan, Kittitas counties
- Play-in basketball games slated for tonight
- Bail set for Piturachsatit
- Candidates speak at Lincoln Day dinner
- Lake Roosevelt Elementary assistant principal arrested
- 800 (2016-029 Jan. 27, Feb. 3) NOTICE OF CALL FOR BIDS
- 800 (2016-042 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-044 Feb. 3, 10) PUBLIC NOTICE OKANOGAN COUNTY SMALL WORKS ROSTER
- 800 (2016-047 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-048 Feb. 3) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision