Tuesday, February 25, 2014
WENATCHEE Lake Roosevelt took a 55-52 overtime win over Liberty Bell in a bi-district boys basketball consolation game and earned the No. 2 seed to regionals.
The Raiders take on Lind/Ritzville/Sprague at 4 p.m. Saturday at Cheney High School, 460 N. Sixth St.
The No. 4 state-ranked Broncos (21-7) earned a No. 1 seed to regionals with a 79-71 win over Liberty (21-7) on Saturday. The Lancers also advanced to a regional game, taking on Kittitas (16-5).
The Raiders will need to slow down the high-powered L/R/S offense, which scored 50 points in the second half. Top gunners were Dylan Hartz with 24 points (9 assists, 6 steals, 5 rebounds) and Connor O’Neill with 23 points.
“We got great effort on both ends of the floor,” Lake Roosevelt coach Matt Simpson said. “We came into the game deciding we wouldn’t be beaten three times by the same team. We prepared really well and had great practices to know our personnel and matchups. The guys earned the win against a very good team.”
Lake Roosevelt led 27-21 at the half and appeared to have the game in hand with a 40-28 third-quarter lead.
But the Mountain Lions, winners of the Central Washington 2B League, charged back to tie the game with a 19-7 fourth quarter run.
“Our kids pulled away during the first overtime period by making free throws and playing tough defense,” Lake Roosevelt athletic director Rich Black said.
Liberty Bell (52) – Dominguez 14, Watson 4, Jaymis Hanson 13, Szafas 2, Sonnichsen 6m, Daily 6, Lara 2.
Rebounds (31): Daily 10, Dominguez 9, Hanson 5, Szafas 3, Lara 2. Assists (7): Hanson 4, Dominguez 2, Lara 1. Steals (15): Daily 5, Dominguez 4, Hanson 2, Szafas 2.
Lake Roosevelt (55) – Garvin 14, Rosenbaum 11, palmer 4, Picard 5, Redstar 6, Louie 15.
Rebounds: Garvin 16, Palmer 6, Rosenbaum 5, Louie 4. Steals: Garvin 6.
More like this story
- Tennis: Okanogan claims two district championships
- Baseball: Okanogan survives first round of regionals
- Soccer: Connell knocks Brewster out of state playoffs, 1-0
- Oversized load will slow Grand Coulee traffic
- Norwill takes medalist honors in playoff
- 1B/2B/1A District 6 tennis finishes first day of tournament
- Construction set for Coho salmon acclimation pond
- First NRA rifle match slated for Saturday at Okanogan
- Baseball: Liberty Bell, Brewster open 2B state at Ferris High School
- Baseball: Okanogan adances to first round of state 1A