Tuesday, February 25, 2014
COLVILLE City police officer Rex Newport today pleaded guilty to multiple felony and misdemeanor charges after several women accused him of sexual misconduct while on duty.
According to charging papers, the first woman to come forward reported being sexually assaulted by Newport at her apartment in March 2013. The woman reported he handcuffed her and then later had sexual intercourse with her.
The woman went to the hospital for a sexual assault examination and reported the incident to the Stevens County Sheriff’s Office.
According to court documents, after the first woman reported her encounter with Newport, several other women reported Newport had also made sexual advances toward them while on duty.
The Sheriff's Office included documentation of four other women who were targeted.
Since the Stevens County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office worked with Newport on criminal cases, the Attorney General’s Office was asked to handle any charging decisions or prosecution. The Attorney General’s Office filed charges on behalf of the Stevens County Prosecutor’s Office on Oct. 4, 2013.
Newport pleaded guilty to:
- Residential burglary;
- Unlawful imprisonment with sexual motivation, which is a class C felony requiring sex offender registration for 10 years;
- Custodial sexual misconduct in the first degree, which is a class C felony requiring sex offender registration for 10 years;
- Making a false or misleading statement to a public servant; and
- Official misconduct.
“The Attorney General’s Office appreciates the opportunity to work with the Stevens County Sheriff’s Office to bring Mr. Newport to justice,” Attorney General Bob Ferguson said .
The standard sentencing range for the felonies is 22-29 months in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for 9 a.m. on April 1.
Newport was also previously accused of using excessive force while arresting a pilot who crash-landed his airplane on the city airport runway.
Pilot George Thomas sued the city and Newport in federal court after the policeman was placed on administrative leave in the sexual misconduct case.
already on paid administrative leave from the department while sexual misconduct allegations against him are investigated, records show.
The lawsuit claimed Newport roughed up Thomas , who was arrested for obstruction charge.
The arrest was later dismissed, records show.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge