Saturday, February 22, 2014
BREWSTER An elderly Okanogan woman was killed this afternoon after her car overturned along U.S. Highway 97 about nine miles north of town.
Driver Joyce K. Baughman, 72, was pronounced dead at Three Rivers Hospital following the 4 p.m. crash, the Washington State Patrol reported.
Her passenger, J.C. Baughman, 70, was transported to the hospital, the State Patrol reported. His condition was not immediately available.
According to a crash report, the Baughmans were northbound in their 1997 Dodge Caravan when the vehicle veered onto the shoulder.
Mrs. Baughman overcorrected and the vehicle crossed over the highway and overturned, coming to rest on its roof in the southbound ditch near Milepost 270, the report said.
Mr. Baughman was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, the report said. And neither alcohol nor drugs are believed to have been factors in the crash.
The State Patrol cited the cause as the driver falling asleep at the wheel.
More like this story
- East Wenatchee site added for discussion on managing salmon, steelhead guides
- Heavy snow closes North Cascades Highway
- Four seek vacant PUD commission post
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Sports collecting can be fun
- Okanogan soccer blanks Omak, 6-0, on senior night
- Omak edges Okanogan, 3-2, in volleyball
- Robbery suspect scheduled to enter plea
- Hearing planned on Pateros budget matters
- Omak plans fall cleanup day
- Wicks named to artist in residence spot