Saturday, February 22, 2014
BREWSTER An elderly Okanogan woman was killed this afternoon after her car overturned along U.S. Highway 97 about nine miles north of town.
Driver Joyce K. Baughman, 72, was pronounced dead at Three Rivers Hospital following the 4 p.m. crash, the Washington State Patrol reported.
Her passenger, J.C. Baughman, 70, was transported to the hospital, the State Patrol reported. His condition was not immediately available.
According to a crash report, the Baughmans were northbound in their 1997 Dodge Caravan when the vehicle veered onto the shoulder.
Mrs. Baughman overcorrected and the vehicle crossed over the highway and overturned, coming to rest on its roof in the southbound ditch near Milepost 270, the report said.
Mr. Baughman was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, the report said. And neither alcohol nor drugs are believed to have been factors in the crash.
The State Patrol cited the cause as the driver falling asleep at the wheel.
More like this story
- Community engagement is Methow fair’s theme
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Start them young
- Training exercise planned
- Delayed opener predicted for North Cascades Highway
- Games must go on
- UW students spend break working with youngsters
- Gas prices remain stable; price increases expected
- Growers meet with lawmakers
- Breakfast bill gets Steele amendments
- Drivers have until March 31 to remove studded tires