Saturday, February 22, 2014
BREWSTER An elderly Okanogan woman was killed this afternoon after her car overturned along U.S. Highway 97 about nine miles north of town.
Driver Joyce K. Baughman, 72, was pronounced dead at Three Rivers Hospital following the 4 p.m. crash, the Washington State Patrol reported.
Her passenger, J.C. Baughman, 70, was transported to the hospital, the State Patrol reported. His condition was not immediately available.
According to a crash report, the Baughmans were northbound in their 1997 Dodge Caravan when the vehicle veered onto the shoulder.
Mrs. Baughman overcorrected and the vehicle crossed over the highway and overturned, coming to rest on its roof in the southbound ditch near Milepost 270, the report said.
Mr. Baughman was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, the report said. And neither alcohol nor drugs are believed to have been factors in the crash.
The State Patrol cited the cause as the driver falling asleep at the wheel.
More like this story
- DNR to permit campfires west of Cascades
- Commissioners to make decision on fair date
- Thew named Chronicle managing editor
- Special fair advisory meeting planned tonight
- Kettle Complex fires see ‘increased’ fire behavior
- Crews continue battling Kettle Complex fires
- Tucannon Fire nearly contained
- Carpenter Road Fire now 45 percent contained
- Wolverine Fire meeting set for Plain
- Grant County deputy fired
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge