Saturday, February 22, 2014
BREWSTER An elderly Okanogan woman was killed this afternoon after her car overturned along U.S. Highway 97 about nine miles north of town.
Driver Joyce K. Baughman, 72, was pronounced dead at Three Rivers Hospital following the 4 p.m. crash, the Washington State Patrol reported.
Her passenger, J.C. Baughman, 70, was transported to the hospital, the State Patrol reported. His condition was not immediately available.
According to a crash report, the Baughmans were northbound in their 1997 Dodge Caravan when the vehicle veered onto the shoulder.
Mrs. Baughman overcorrected and the vehicle crossed over the highway and overturned, coming to rest on its roof in the southbound ditch near Milepost 270, the report said.
Mr. Baughman was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, the report said. And neither alcohol nor drugs are believed to have been factors in the crash.
The State Patrol cited the cause as the driver falling asleep at the wheel.
More like this story
- PUD to decide yay or nay on Enloe
- County has cash flow problem
- Tonasket wants to annex land south of town
- Drug bust lands eight people in jail
- Okanogan school levy falling short of 60 percent
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-175 April 27) Mooney SP 2016-2 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-176 April 27) Jackass SP 2016-1 Application and SEPA Exemption
- 800 (2016-177 April 27) Yakama Nation Twisp Ponds Project, SEPA 2016-1 Final SEPA Determination
- 800 (2016-178 April 27) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge