Friday, February 21, 2014
MALOTT Authorities have identified the victim of a fatal shooting yesterday as Antonio Naranjo-Menchaca, 38 of California.
Menchaca was the ex-brother-in-law of accused shooter Jesus Vela-Duarte, 31 of Brewster, who turned himself in following the shooting.
Menchaca has lived on and off in Okanogan County for several years. He had been recently living in California and returned here Wednesday.
According to Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers, the family was afraid of Menchaca.
"Aparently, Duarte had already contacted Menchaca when he returned and told him to stay away from his family," Rogers said.
When Duarte saw the victime drive by his house just prior to the shooting, he followed them to the Chiliwist Road area, where he confronted him, Rogers said.
"Detectives are still conducting interviews today to determining what led up to the shooting," Rogers said, noting an autopsy for Menchaca is scheduled for Monday.
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acresHAVILLAH - The Pickens North fire has burned an estimated 600 acres, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
- Crews work to line Pickens North fireHAVILLAH - The Pickens North fire has burned an estimated 600 acres, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
More like this story
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge