Friday, February 21, 2014
MALOTT Authorities have identified the victim of a fatal shooting yesterday as Antonio Naranjo-Menchaca, 38 of California.
Menchaca was the ex-brother-in-law of accused shooter Jesus Vela-Duarte, 31 of Brewster, who turned himself in following the shooting.
Menchaca has lived on and off in Okanogan County for several years. He had been recently living in California and returned here Wednesday.
According to Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers, the family was afraid of Menchaca.
"Aparently, Duarte had already contacted Menchaca when he returned and told him to stay away from his family," Rogers said.
When Duarte saw the victime drive by his house just prior to the shooting, he followed them to the Chiliwist Road area, where he confronted him, Rogers said.
"Detectives are still conducting interviews today to determining what led up to the shooting," Rogers said, noting an autopsy for Menchaca is scheduled for Monday.
More like this story
- Fishing to open for hatchery steelhead, rainbows
- Federal help sought for fire recovery
- Legislator calls for fight against McCleary
- Family Faire wraps up today
- Friday football scores: Okanogan wins big
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge