Friday, February 21, 2014
MALOTT Authorities have identified the victim of a fatal shooting yesterday as Antonio Naranjo-Menchaca, 38 of California.
Menchaca was the ex-brother-in-law of accused shooter Jesus Vela-Duarte, 31 of Brewster, who turned himself in following the shooting.
Menchaca has lived on and off in Okanogan County for several years. He had been recently living in California and returned here Wednesday.
According to Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers, the family was afraid of Menchaca.
"Aparently, Duarte had already contacted Menchaca when he returned and told him to stay away from his family," Rogers said.
When Duarte saw the victime drive by his house just prior to the shooting, he followed them to the Chiliwist Road area, where he confronted him, Rogers said.
"Detectives are still conducting interviews today to determining what led up to the shooting," Rogers said, noting an autopsy for Menchaca is scheduled for Monday.
- Trudi Inslee visits fire areas todayWashington first lady Trudi Inslee is in Pateros today touring fire areas. She toured the Alta Lake spike camp to ...
- Public meeting about fires is today in NespelemA public meeting about the North Star and Tunk Block fires will be at 5 p.m. today at Nespelem School, ...
More like this story
- Rain helps crews battle Ferry County fires
- Trudi Inslee visits fire areas today
- Public meeting about fires is today in Nespelem
- Crews gaining ground on Colville Complex
- Goodell Fire burning along highway
- Crews brace for fire growth near Wellpinit
- North Cascades could reopen Sunday
- Ferry County prepares for storm
- Causes of death: Smoke, burns
- Electricity may be restored tomorrow to Omak flats
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge