Originally published February 20, 2014 at 02:20p.m., updated February 20, 2014 at 03:55p.m.
A Colville Business Council member resigned Tuesday in the wake of a Valentine’s Day arrest for an alleged rape on the Coeur d’Alene Indian Reservation.
Ernest “Sneena” Bennie Brooks III, 40, also served as the tribal council’s vice chairman.
Kootenai County Sheriff's Office Lt. Stu Miller said Thursday that Brooks was "booked in on one count of rape."
Brooks cited “personal reasons” for his resignation, but the Kootenai County Jail also confirmed he had been booked into the facility Feb. 14 and released the same day.
"He posted a $5,000 bond the same day and was released," Miller said.
Brooks was allegedly was arrested at the Coeur d’Alene Casino by Coeur d’Alene Tribal Police.
Coeur d’Alene Reservation Prosecuting Attorney Paul Christensen declined to talk about Brooks’ arrest because “the investigation is ongoing.” Charges had not been filed as of Thursday.
An FBI spokesman also confirmed the arrest and cited an ongoing investigation without providing further detail.
Neither Brooks nor council Chairman Michael Finley could be reached for comment.
An emergency meeting of Omak District residents is at 6 tonight at the Senior Meal Site next to the Omak Community Center, 601 Benton St., to address the vacancy created by Brooks’ resignation.
Under the tribal constitution, when there is a resignation the council shall declare the position vacant and appoint a member from the district to fill the unexpired term. Brooks’ term runs until July 2015.
The council is scheduled to meet Friday to appoint a new council member.
Brooks was elected in 2011 and re-elected last year to a second two-year term.
More like this story
- DNR issues statewide burn ban
- Gubernatorial candidate debate planned tomorrow
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge