Originally published February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m., updated February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m.
MALOTT One man is dead and a suspect is in custody following a shooting 200 yards south of the Chiliwist turn-off along Old Highway 97.
The highway was closed at Malott and south of the crime scene at about 4:30 p.m. to through traffic while the Okanogan County Sheriff's Office investigated.
The victim was not immediately identified, and the name of the suspect has yet to be released.
A friend of the victim, who witnessed the shooting, said the men were in the area looking for work, Chief Criminal Deputy Dave Rodriguez said. There was a "disagreement" over a vehicle prior to the shooting.
The friend, who deputies did not identify, said the victim did not have family in the area. The victim did not have identification, and a computer did not locate the man's name, authorities said.
The male suspect left the area before calling the Sheriff's Office from his home south of the crime scene, authorities said.
More like this story
- Week 8: Friday night football scores
- Candidates share opinions in Okanogan
- Fire damages Omak house
- County faces $87,000 bill for Rabidou lawsuit
- Where is the election funding coming from?
- No steelhead season this winter
- Debate team host carnival tonight
- Power outage planned in Tonasket-area tonight
- Snowfall expected along North Cascade Highway
- 810 (2016-410 Oct. 19) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 877
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge