Originally published February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m., updated February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m.
MALOTT One man is dead and a suspect is in custody following a shooting 200 yards south of the Chiliwist turn-off along Old Highway 97.
The highway was closed at Malott and south of the crime scene at about 4:30 p.m. to through traffic while the Okanogan County Sheriff's Office investigated.
The victim was not immediately identified, and the name of the suspect has yet to be released.
A friend of the victim, who witnessed the shooting, said the men were in the area looking for work, Chief Criminal Deputy Dave Rodriguez said. There was a "disagreement" over a vehicle prior to the shooting.
The friend, who deputies did not identify, said the victim did not have family in the area. The victim did not have identification, and a computer did not locate the man's name, authorities said.
The male suspect left the area before calling the Sheriff's Office from his home south of the crime scene, authorities said.
More like this story
- Cascade prevails in kitchen showdown
- Voters approve school levies
- Teen talent hits the stage
- District 5/6 resumes Saturday
- Omak mill operation gets a new owner
- Burn ban extended for parts of Okanogan County
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options