Originally published February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m., updated February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m.
MALOTT One man is dead and a suspect is in custody following a shooting 200 yards south of the Chiliwist turn-off along Old Highway 97.
The highway was closed at Malott and south of the crime scene at about 4:30 p.m. to through traffic while the Okanogan County Sheriff's Office investigated.
The victim was not immediately identified, and the name of the suspect has yet to be released.
A friend of the victim, who witnessed the shooting, said the men were in the area looking for work, Chief Criminal Deputy Dave Rodriguez said. There was a "disagreement" over a vehicle prior to the shooting.
The friend, who deputies did not identify, said the victim did not have family in the area. The victim did not have identification, and a computer did not locate the man's name, authorities said.
The male suspect left the area before calling the Sheriff's Office from his home south of the crime scene, authorities said.
More like this story
- Board votes not to renew Landdeck's coaching contract
- North Valley Hospital begins administrator search
- 83 year-old woman with Alzheimer’s reported missing
- Ridge Riders to put on barrel clinic
- Proctor, Kolbaba to be at riding school
- Cle Elum softball slugs its way past Okanogan
- Liberty Bell baseball sweeps aside Pateros
- Tonasket, Okanogan soccer fight to a draw
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Martial arts winners
- Utt leads Omak golfers at Jack Barnes Invite