Originally published February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m., updated February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m.
MALOTT One man is dead and a suspect is in custody following a shooting 200 yards south of the Chiliwist turn-off along Old Highway 97.
The highway was closed at Malott and south of the crime scene at about 4:30 p.m. to through traffic while the Okanogan County Sheriff's Office investigated.
The victim was not immediately identified, and the name of the suspect has yet to be released.
A friend of the victim, who witnessed the shooting, said the men were in the area looking for work, Chief Criminal Deputy Dave Rodriguez said. There was a "disagreement" over a vehicle prior to the shooting.
The friend, who deputies did not identify, said the victim did not have family in the area. The victim did not have identification, and a computer did not locate the man's name, authorities said.
The male suspect left the area before calling the Sheriff's Office from his home south of the crime scene, authorities said.
More like this story
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge