Originally published February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m., updated February 20, 2014 at 06:08p.m.
MALOTT One man is dead and a suspect is in custody following a shooting 200 yards south of the Chiliwist turn-off along Old Highway 97.
The highway was closed at Malott and south of the crime scene at about 4:30 p.m. to through traffic while the Okanogan County Sheriff's Office investigated.
The victim was not immediately identified, and the name of the suspect has yet to be released.
A friend of the victim, who witnessed the shooting, said the men were in the area looking for work, Chief Criminal Deputy Dave Rodriguez said. There was a "disagreement" over a vehicle prior to the shooting.
The friend, who deputies did not identify, said the victim did not have family in the area. The victim did not have identification, and a computer did not locate the man's name, authorities said.
The male suspect left the area before calling the Sheriff's Office from his home south of the crime scene, authorities said.
More like this story
- Rotary NCW sports awards: Finalists announced
- Rotary Fish Derby: Arnold takes grand champion prize
- Museum opening Memorial Day weekend
- Lake Roosevelt to open for white sturgeon fishing
- State golf: Oroville's Jordyn Smith finishes 19th in state
- Horse racing will be at fair
- Salmon Creek closed between Spring Coulee and Danker Cut-off Road
- Keller Ferry out of service
- PUD honors employees
- 820 (2017-112 May 10, 17) ADVERTISEMENT FOR BIDS