Thursday, February 13, 2014
The body of a woman who jumped into the icy Okanogan River was found Wednesday downstream from the Fourth Street bridge.
Resident Lisa M. Schell, 44, was reported missing just before 7 a.m. Monday by her husband, police said. A coat was found on the bridge that morning, and a fresh hole was discovered in the ice below.
Police, fire and emergency medical services crews combed the riverbank. The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office was called, but declined to put a diver in the water because of the ice.
Police Chief Rob Burks said an officer discovered Schell’s body close to the west riverbank about 200-300 yards south of the bridge.
The Fire Department was called to assist and the Okanogan County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office sent out a coroner.
There’s no indication of foul play, Burks said.
Schell apparently had a history of mental illness. She reportedly had waded into the river last week, but that incident was not reported until she disappeared, Burks said.
An autopsy has been scheduled, police said.
More like this story
- 800 (2016-173 April 27, May 4) Notice of Public Hearing
- 800 (2016-185 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-186 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-187 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 800 (2016-188 May 4) Okanogan County Notice of Final Decision
- 810 (2016-182 May 4) At the regular council meeting
- 810 (2016-184 May 4) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-181 May 4, 11, 18) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-156 May 4, 11) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-183 May 4, 11, 18, 25, June 1, 8) Superior Court of Washington
Reclamation officials talk about Conconully Lake Resort
Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge