Thursday, February 13, 2014
The body of a woman who jumped into the icy Okanogan River was found Wednesday downstream from the Fourth Street bridge.
Resident Lisa M. Schell, 44, was reported missing just before 7 a.m. Monday by her husband, police said. A coat was found on the bridge that morning, and a fresh hole was discovered in the ice below.
Police, fire and emergency medical services crews combed the riverbank. The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office was called, but declined to put a diver in the water because of the ice.
Police Chief Rob Burks said an officer discovered Schell’s body close to the west riverbank about 200-300 yards south of the bridge.
The Fire Department was called to assist and the Okanogan County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office sent out a coroner.
There’s no indication of foul play, Burks said.
Schell apparently had a history of mental illness. She reportedly had waded into the river last week, but that incident was not reported until she disappeared, Burks said.
An autopsy has been scheduled, police said.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge