Thursday, February 13, 2014
The body of a woman who jumped into the icy Okanogan River was found Wednesday downstream from the Fourth Street bridge.
Resident Lisa M. Schell, 44, was reported missing just before 7 a.m. Monday by her husband, police said. A coat was found on the bridge that morning, and a fresh hole was discovered in the ice below.
Police, fire and emergency medical services crews combed the riverbank. The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office was called, but declined to put a diver in the water because of the ice.
Police Chief Rob Burks said an officer discovered Schell’s body close to the west riverbank about 200-300 yards south of the bridge.
The Fire Department was called to assist and the Okanogan County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office sent out a coroner.
There’s no indication of foul play, Burks said.
Schell apparently had a history of mental illness. She reportedly had waded into the river last week, but that incident was not reported until she disappeared, Burks said.
An autopsy has been scheduled, police said.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge