Thursday, February 13, 2014
The body of a woman who jumped into the icy Okanogan River was found Wednesday downstream from the Fourth Street bridge.
Resident Lisa M. Schell, 44, was reported missing just before 7 a.m. Monday by her husband, police said. A coat was found on the bridge that morning, and a fresh hole was discovered in the ice below.
Police, fire and emergency medical services crews combed the riverbank. The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office was called, but declined to put a diver in the water because of the ice.
Police Chief Rob Burks said an officer discovered Schell’s body close to the west riverbank about 200-300 yards south of the bridge.
The Fire Department was called to assist and the Okanogan County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office sent out a coroner.
There’s no indication of foul play, Burks said.
Schell apparently had a history of mental illness. She reportedly had waded into the river last week, but that incident was not reported until she disappeared, Burks said.
An autopsy has been scheduled, police said.
More like this story
- Week 8: Friday night football scores
- Candidates share opinions in Okanogan
- Fire damages Omak house
- County faces $87,000 bill for Rabidou lawsuit
- Where is the election funding coming from?
- No steelhead season this winter
- Debate team host carnival tonight
- Power outage planned in Tonasket-area tonight
- Snowfall expected along North Cascade Highway
- 810 (2016-410 Oct. 19) SUMMARY OF ORDINANCE NO. 877
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge