Thursday, February 13, 2014
The body of a woman who jumped into the icy Okanogan River was found Wednesday downstream from the Fourth Street bridge.
Resident Lisa M. Schell, 44, was reported missing just before 7 a.m. Monday by her husband, police said. A coat was found on the bridge that morning, and a fresh hole was discovered in the ice below.
Police, fire and emergency medical services crews combed the riverbank. The Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office was called, but declined to put a diver in the water because of the ice.
Police Chief Rob Burks said an officer discovered Schell’s body close to the west riverbank about 200-300 yards south of the bridge.
The Fire Department was called to assist and the Okanogan County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office sent out a coroner.
There’s no indication of foul play, Burks said.
Schell apparently had a history of mental illness. She reportedly had waded into the river last week, but that incident was not reported until she disappeared, Burks said.
An autopsy has been scheduled, police said.
More like this story
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING