Thursday, February 6, 2014
ROYAL CITY The state State Department of Transportation is looking for a freight rail operator to provide services to businesses in Grant and Adams Counties.
Transportation officials released a request for proposals today asking interested businesses to submit proposals by noon March, 19.
“This section of track has been out of service for the last 16 years,” said Alan Schrom, Commissioner for the Port of Royal Slope. “But, we’re back in business thanks to a $750,000 grant from the Washington State Legislature.”
Along with operating and maintaining 26-miles of track between Othello and Royal City, the operator will be required to design an economic development plan for competitive rail services.
The freight rail line is expected to resume service in May.
More like this story
- VIEW FROM THE SIDELINES: Proctor hangs on for win in California
- Softball: Lakeside ends Omak’s season
- Softball: Brewster captures District 5/6 fastpitch title
- Track: Liberty Bell girls sweep to 2B district crown
- Track: Okanogan girls win District 6 track team crown
- Track: Republic sends a bunch of tracksters to 1B state
- Tennis: Okanogan sends district doubles champs to state
- Historical museums open this weekend
- Baseball: Brewster falls just short of state Final Four
- Baseball: Colfax takes out Liberty Bell, 12-2