Wednesday, February 5, 2014
It’s time to raise minimum wage
It’s time to stand up for working Americans.
Anytime you hear a Republican politician or a right-wing newspaper editor argue against raising the minimum wage, you can be sure they are not working for minimum wage. They are mouthpieces for rich corporations like Walmart and McDonalds, which do not want to pay their workers a living wage. The Republicans worry more about taking care of the wealth and huge corporate businesses than they care about their fellow citizens.
It’s time to raise the minimum wage to a level that is more fair to working people.
Business group backs Tonasket levy
I am writing on behalf of the Tonasket Chamber of Commerce in support of the Tonasket School District levy and bond.
I believe strong schools contribute to strong communities. Good schools are an important draw to people looking to move into our area.
Often, the first the question potential residents and entrepreneurs ask is about the school system. We have a vibrant and strong school district with beautiful facilities. We can proudly answer our community supports our schools.
Our vibrant and strong district will be in jeopardy if these measures do not pass. Without these necessary funds, cuts will have to be made to meet state-mandated longer day. Also, some of the state equalization funds will not be available.
Please consider the affect this can have on not just the school district and children, but the community and businesses. The circle of community, business and school is currently strong and I ask you to vote “yes” to keep it strong.
More like this story
- Thew named Chronicle managing editor
- Special fair advisory meeting planned tonight
- Kettle Complex fires see ‘increased’ fire behavior
- Crews continue battling Kettle Complex fires
- Tucannon Fire nearly contained
- Carpenter Road Fire now 45 percent contained
- Wolverine Fire meeting set for Plain
- Grant County deputy fired
- 800 (2015-448 Aug. 26, Sept 2, 9, 16) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 800 2015-453 Sept. 2) Twisp River Floodplain, SEPA 2015-7 Final SEPA Determination
Omak-Riverside Eastside Road helicopter water drop
Short clip of a helicopter dropping water on the Tunk Block Fire today along Omak-Riverside Eastside Road. Enlarge