Monday, August 4, 2014
OROVILLE The body of a Surrey, B.C., man was recovered Sunday night from Lake Osoyoos, near Veranda Beach.
John M. Mele, 43, drowned Friday afternoon after he allegedly did a back flip off a boat into the water.
“Mele began to surface and then went back under the water and disappeared,” Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said.
The call came in around 1:30 p.m. Friday. Divers from the Sheriff’s Office, private divers and those from Canada spent the weekend combing the lake, and with the help of sonar equipment, were able to locate Mele’s body.
Mele’s is the fourth drowning this year in Okanogan County.
Darrel L. Williams, 57, of Oroville, is presumed drowned after he fell overboard near Chopaka Lodge in Palmer Lake on July 11. Rogers said deputies searched the lake, again, last week, but have yet to recover his body.
Kenneth J. Leslie, 46, of Sedro Woolley, is missing and presumed drowned after his boat was swamped and sank in the Columbia River southeast of Nespelem, in June.
Charity R. Rumbolz, 24, of Okanogan, drowned in Conconully Lake in May after the ATV in which she was a passenger plummeted into the lake.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-368 Sept. 14, 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12, 19) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT
- 820 (2016-372 Sept. 21, 28, Oct. 5, 12) IN THE TRIBAL COURT OF THE CONFEDERATED TRIBES OF THE
- 820 (2016-373 Sept. 21, 28) Town of Conconully Call for Bids
- 820 (2016-376 Sept. 28, Oct. 5) NOTICE OF HEARING
- 820 (2016-381 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-382 Sept. 28) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-386 Sept. 28, Oct. 5, 12) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF CHELAN
- 800 (2016-377 Sept. 28) Notice of General Election Okanogan County, State of Washington
- 810 (2016-371 Sept. 28) STREET CLOSURE
- 810 (2016-378 Sept. 28) CITY OF OKANOGAN
Chronicle News Broadcast for Sept. 28, 2016
A Ferry County woman claims a wolf attacked her small dog, a motorhome catches fire on Highway 97, a ground breaking ceremony is planned for an Omak Stampede Museum, a look at your weekend weather, and weekly sports repor Enlarge