Wednesday, April 23, 2014
WENATCHEE Omak came out on top of a 20-high school field to claim the state Future Farmers of America trapshoot championship Friday.
This was Omak’s second state title in three years, adviser Gale Wilson said.
The Top 3 members of the team combined for a score of 275 out of 300 birds, edging Freeman at 274.
Omak’s Rayce Miller finished third overall out of 195 shooters with a score of 95 out of 100.
Jeremy Calentine at 91 was seventh.
Other Omak shooters included Cameron Daigneau (89), Clayton Hilton (85) and Ethan Pfitzer (84).
Omak’s No. 2 team included Dawson Sachse (81), Tommy McNulty (80), Wyatt Wilson (75), Daniel Barrientos (54) and Cooper Routien (48).
“It was a fitting way for the three seniors on the team (Calentine, Pfitzer, Miller) and myself to end a four-year successful run,” coach Wilson said.
Wilson started the trapshooting team in 1997 when it was just starting out on the east side of Washington by several FFA chapters.
Wilson is retiring after this school year.
“I hope that the team continues on the tradition with the new FFA adviser,” he said.
The coach thanked parents, community members and businesses for their support and contributions to the team, including making Omak’s March shoot the largest FFA chapter competition.
“The sport teaches the shooter discipline, eye-hand coordination, judgment when to shoot and most of all (to be) a graceful winner as well as a graceful loser,” said the coach, who said members will take lessons learned into their adult lives.
Omak has placed at state in each of the last six years – first twice, second twice, and third and fourth once.
In other state events, Miller won the state Annie Oakley champion trophy while Barrientos was second.
Miller finished fifth in the chipper competition.
Wyatt Wilson was fourth in the miss-n-out.
Pfitzer and Morgan O’Brien from the Tonasket club won the buddy shoot in a shootoff by hitting all 10 of the duo’s birds.
Team scores: 1, Omak, 275. 2, Freeman, 274. 3-4, Colville No. 1 and Eastmont No. 1, 268. 5, Kettle Falls, 265.
More like this story
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
- 810 (2015-630 Nov. 25) SUMMARY OF RESOLUTION No. 39-2015 OF THE City of Omak, Washington.
- 810 (2015-632 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2015-612 Nov. 18, 25, Dec. 2) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON