Wednesday, April 16, 2014
WINTHROP The Methow Valley Ranger District is gearing up for a prescribed burn Thursday on about 20 acres 10 miles west of town.
The burn area is in the Lucky 2 Timber Sale unitis located about a quarter-mile from the Eidwlweiss community, Assistant Fire Management Officer Meg Trebon said.
“Actual ignition on that date will depend on conditions in the unit that day, smoke approval from (the state Department of Natural Resources), and staffing,” she said.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service was forecasting a 60 percent chance of rain Thursday in the Winthrop area.
Other nearby areas slated to burn are still blocked with snow, she said. Trebon estimated it could take another week or two before the Ranger District can access those areas.
This season, the Methow Valley Ranger District is planning prescribed burns northwest of town near Eightmile Creek and Fawn Creek; west of Twisp near Little Bridge Creek; and west of Methow in the McFarland Creek and Squaw Creek drainages.
Tonasket Ranger District has also planned prescribed burning treatments in the Mt. Annie and the Lyman Lake areas; both southeast of Tonasket, as well as the Mutton area north of Conconully and the North Flank project area near Havillah.
Area residents are warned they may see smoke during the treatments.
More like this story
- PUD hopefuls share their views at forum
- Thunderstorm rips through county
- Ready, set, Pokemon Go! Online game craze hits the Okanogan
- New curtains installed at PAC
- Officials issue hazardous weather outlook
- Former NVH employee ‘disappointed’ with district
- DNR to add fire base in Omak
- Lynx could be added to state endangered list
- Hit-and-run crash kills Brewster teacher
- Bar-S Foods Company recalls hot dogs, corn dogs
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge