Wednesday, April 16, 2014
WINTHROP The Methow Valley Ranger District is gearing up for a prescribed burn Thursday on about 20 acres 10 miles west of town.
The burn area is in the Lucky 2 Timber Sale unitis located about a quarter-mile from the Eidwlweiss community, Assistant Fire Management Officer Meg Trebon said.
“Actual ignition on that date will depend on conditions in the unit that day, smoke approval from (the state Department of Natural Resources), and staffing,” she said.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service was forecasting a 60 percent chance of rain Thursday in the Winthrop area.
Other nearby areas slated to burn are still blocked with snow, she said. Trebon estimated it could take another week or two before the Ranger District can access those areas.
This season, the Methow Valley Ranger District is planning prescribed burns northwest of town near Eightmile Creek and Fawn Creek; west of Twisp near Little Bridge Creek; and west of Methow in the McFarland Creek and Squaw Creek drainages.
Tonasket Ranger District has also planned prescribed burning treatments in the Mt. Annie and the Lyman Lake areas; both southeast of Tonasket, as well as the Mutton area north of Conconully and the North Flank project area near Havillah.
Area residents are warned they may see smoke during the treatments.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge