Wednesday, April 16, 2014
WINTHROP The Methow Valley Ranger District is gearing up for a prescribed burn Thursday on about 20 acres 10 miles west of town.
The burn area is in the Lucky 2 Timber Sale unitis located about a quarter-mile from the Eidwlweiss community, Assistant Fire Management Officer Meg Trebon said.
“Actual ignition on that date will depend on conditions in the unit that day, smoke approval from (the state Department of Natural Resources), and staffing,” she said.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service was forecasting a 60 percent chance of rain Thursday in the Winthrop area.
Other nearby areas slated to burn are still blocked with snow, she said. Trebon estimated it could take another week or two before the Ranger District can access those areas.
This season, the Methow Valley Ranger District is planning prescribed burns northwest of town near Eightmile Creek and Fawn Creek; west of Twisp near Little Bridge Creek; and west of Methow in the McFarland Creek and Squaw Creek drainages.
Tonasket Ranger District has also planned prescribed burning treatments in the Mt. Annie and the Lyman Lake areas; both southeast of Tonasket, as well as the Mutton area north of Conconully and the North Flank project area near Havillah.
Area residents are warned they may see smoke during the treatments.
More like this story
- School officials get earful
- School bond issues going down in defeat
- Ice storm brings closures, hazardous travel
- School delays, closures planned
- 810 (2017-036 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1173
- 810 (2017-037 Feb. 15) CITY OF OKANOGAN, WASHINGTON ORDINANCE NO. 1172
- 820 (2017-011 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-013 Jan. 18, 25, Feb. 01, 8, 15, 22) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF
- 820 (2017-021 Jan. 25, Feb. 01, 08, 15, 22, March 01) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2017-023 Feb. 1, 08, 15) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY