Friday, April 11, 2014
OMAK Gay students and their supporters at Omak High School are observing a "Day of Silence" today, vowing not to talk to their peers on campus.
That has led some parents — who asked not to be identified out of fear their straight child will be singled out for not participating — to pull their students out of school for the day.
The Day of Silence is being pushed by the national Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. a group that purports to call attention to the plight of homosexuals by having students, teachers, school administrators and others remain silent for a day of public school.
Omak High School has a Gay-Straight Alliance club that formed last month. The club is an offshoot of the national network organized by Massachusetts teachers.
According to Omak school officials, the day is being observed voluntarily in the high school.
But at least two middle school parents say their daughters were informed Thursday they and other younger students should participate. That prompted the parents to keep their students home today.
Omak schools have also been under fire recently for enacting a transgender policy that allows students to choose their restroom, locker room and sports based on how they "gender identify," rather than actual gender.
School District Superintendent Erik Swanson said in practice, students won't use the alternate sex's facilities. Instead, they will be offered alternate facilities.
State law requires schools to adopt a transgender policy.
More like this story
- 820 (2016-438 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE
- 820 (2016-439 Nov. 23, Dec. 7) NOTICE OF TRUSTEE’S SALE PURSUANT TO THE REVISED CODE OF
- 820 (2016-444 Nov. 9, 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-446 Nov. 16, 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR
- 820 (2016-456 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2016-466 Nov. 23, 30, Dec. 7, 14) PUBLIC NOTICE
- 820 (2016-472 Nov. 30, Dec. 7) NORTH CENTRAL REGIONAL LIBRARY NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
- 820 (2016-473 Dec. 7, 14) Notice of Impact Aid Public Hearing
- 820 (2016-474 Dec. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-475 Dec. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge