Friday, April 11, 2014
OMAK Gay students and their supporters at Omak High School are observing a "Day of Silence" today, vowing not to talk to their peers on campus.
That has led some parents — who asked not to be identified out of fear their straight child will be singled out for not participating — to pull their students out of school for the day.
The Day of Silence is being pushed by the national Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network. a group that purports to call attention to the plight of homosexuals by having students, teachers, school administrators and others remain silent for a day of public school.
Omak High School has a Gay-Straight Alliance club that formed last month. The club is an offshoot of the national network organized by Massachusetts teachers.
According to Omak school officials, the day is being observed voluntarily in the high school.
But at least two middle school parents say their daughters were informed Thursday they and other younger students should participate. That prompted the parents to keep their students home today.
Omak schools have also been under fire recently for enacting a transgender policy that allows students to choose their restroom, locker room and sports based on how they "gender identify," rather than actual gender.
School District Superintendent Erik Swanson said in practice, students won't use the alternate sex's facilities. Instead, they will be offered alternate facilities.
State law requires schools to adopt a transgender policy.
More like this story
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
- 820 (2015-490 Sept. 23, 30, Oct. 7) In The Superior Court Of The State Of Washington County of Chelan.
- 820 (2015-456 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-455 Sept. 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Oct. 7) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Public Notice
- 820 (2015 - 524, Oct. 7) Town of Twisp Request for Statement of Qualifications
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge