Thursday, April 10, 2014
OKANOGAN A telephone problem put 911 service statewide on hold this morning, but the emergency number is mostly back up and running.
Okanogan County Sheriff’s Office dispatch said the CenturyLink phone problem meant people had to call the direct dispatch number of 509-422-7232. No statistics were available Thursday morning on the number of emergency calls going to that number during the outage.
The 911 service went down about 1:30 a.m. and was out until around 8 a.m., although some service began coming back around 6:30 a.m., said Mike Worden, chief deputy of special operations.
He said he was notified by the dispatch center around 1:50 a.m. RiverCom, which handles dispatching for Douglas and Chelan counties, was contacted and said its service was down, too.
CenturyLink and the state Emergency Operations Center were contacted and reported the system was more widespread, Worden said. Apparently the phone company had a service failure in Oregon that spread to Washington.
Emergency centers have pre-sent protocols for rerouting 911 calls if there’s a failure, but none of those were working. The outage also took down some offices’ administrative lines.
Ferry and Okanogan counties route to each others’ dispatch centers if there is a problem, but that system didn’t work, Worden said.
Ferry County was among those that lost some of its regular phone lines, said Ferry County Sheriff’s Office Dispatcher Pete Brandon.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said he understands there were scattered 911 outages after the bulk of the system went back on line.
Franklin and Grant counties, for example, were still having its emergency calls routed through Spokane County.
Brandon said no emergencies were reported to that office during the outage.
RiverCom could not be reached for comment.
CenturyLink said the problem affected only land line users, and not cellphones or voice over Internet lines.
More like this story
- Lightning sparks several small fires
- Results for the Tonasket Truck and Tractor Pull announced
- 820 (2016-322 July 20, 27) STATE OF WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF ECOLOGY
- 820 (2016-310 July 13, 20, 27) SUPERIOR COURT, STATE OF WASHINGTON, COUNTY OF SPOKANE
- 320 (2016-317 July 27, Aug. 3) OMAK SCHOOL DISTRICT SURPLUS SALE
- 820 (2016-320 July 27) LEGAL NOTICE
- 820 (2016-323 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-328 July 20, 27, Aug. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND
- 820 (2016-330 July 27, Aug. 3, 10) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR
- 820 (2016-331 July 27, Aug. 3) INVITATION FOR RE-BIDS
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge