Wednesday, April 9, 2014
SPOKANE Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers is encouraging high school students throughout Washington’s 5th Congressional District to participate in the 32nd annual Congressional Art Competition.
The district includes Ferry County.
The contest, “An Artistic Discovery,” began in 1982 as a way to recognize and encourage the artistic talent of America’s youth.
“This competition is a unique opportunity for students to showcase their artistic abilities and represent Washington’s 5th District in our nation’s capital," McMorris Rodgers, R-Spokane, said. "I’m excited to celebrate the extraordinary talent of our students.”
The winning student will be invited to Washington, D.C. for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and will have his or her artwork displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year.
The second-place entry will be on display in the congresswoman’s Spokane office.
Students can submit various styles and types of art, ranging from paintings and drawings to photography and mixed media pieces. The artwork must be original in design, no more than 15 pounds, no larger than 28-by-28-by-4 inches, and be prepared for hanging.
Each student may submit one piece of art to the Congresswoman’s offices in Spokane, Walla Walla, and Colville.
The winner of the competition will also receive two airline tickets from Southwest Airlines to come see his or her artwork as it is displayed.
The submission deadline is April 23.
For more information, email Kristy.Sauer@mail.house.gov.
More like this story
- Fishing to open for hatchery steelhead, rainbows
- Federal help sought for fire recovery
- Legislator calls for fight against McCleary
- Family Faire wraps up today
- Friday football scores: Okanogan wins big
- 820 (2015-518, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2015-513 Oct. 7) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-512 Oct. 7, 14) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2015-507 Sept. 30, Oct. 7, 14, 21) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2015-503 Sept. 30, Oct. 7) NOTICE OF HEARING PUBLIC UTILITY DISTRICT NO. 1 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY 2016 PROPOSED BUDGET
State Department of Fish and Wildlife Sgt. Dan Christensen recorded this video of the release of a mama bear and her three cubs Friday, Sept. 11, 2015. The bears were captured in a tree at Esther Bricques Winery near Ellisforde. The original video was much longer. We've edited out several minutes of footage between the cubs leaving the first trap and the mama and cub leaving the second trap. Enlarge