Wednesday, April 9, 2014
SPOKANE Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers is encouraging high school students throughout Washington’s 5th Congressional District to participate in the 32nd annual Congressional Art Competition.
The district includes Ferry County.
The contest, “An Artistic Discovery,” began in 1982 as a way to recognize and encourage the artistic talent of America’s youth.
“This competition is a unique opportunity for students to showcase their artistic abilities and represent Washington’s 5th District in our nation’s capital," McMorris Rodgers, R-Spokane, said. "I’m excited to celebrate the extraordinary talent of our students.”
The winning student will be invited to Washington, D.C. for a ribbon-cutting ceremony and will have his or her artwork displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year.
The second-place entry will be on display in the congresswoman’s Spokane office.
Students can submit various styles and types of art, ranging from paintings and drawings to photography and mixed media pieces. The artwork must be original in design, no more than 15 pounds, no larger than 28-by-28-by-4 inches, and be prepared for hanging.
Each student may submit one piece of art to the Congresswoman’s offices in Spokane, Walla Walla, and Colville.
The winner of the competition will also receive two airline tickets from Southwest Airlines to come see his or her artwork as it is displayed.
The submission deadline is April 23.
For more information, email Kristy.Sauer@mail.house.gov.
More like this story
- Business Council Chairman Boyd has died
- Do-it-yourself fireworks show in limbo
- Small fires, smoke checks reported
- Colville Tribal election returns too close to call
- Okanogan County ATV ordinance ruled invalid
- New wolf pack confirmed in Ferry County
- Safe 'n' Sane fireworks allowed in part of Omak
- 800 (2016-259 June 15, 22) Superior Court Clerk is requesting proposals
- 800 (2016-262 June 22) Notice of Primary Election
- 800 (2016-266 June 15, 22, 29, July 6, 13, 20) SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON,
2016 Molson Mid-Summer Festival
Here's a clip of the annual Molson Mid-Summer Festival, June 18, 2016. Chronicle video by Brock Hires. Enlarge