Sunday, April 6, 2014
TONASKET Children from Oroville, Tonasket, Riverside and Okanogan spent part of last week’s vacation exploring art during the Apple Hill Art Camps spring break workshop.
Classes included magnetic monster head goblin building, god’s eyes and decorated journals.
The event drew 19 children. Some had attended the organization’s previous summer sessions, while others were new, spokeswoman Emily Hale said.
Apple Hill Art Camps began a decade ago to give children age 7 and older the opportunity to explore different types of art beyond the often-limited art instruction they get in school, she said.
The program has grown, and now some of the former campers are adults and help lead the classes.
Besides learning different artistic techniques, the youngsters have the opportunity to do community service through various projects, Hale said.
Last year, the students repainted the Omak Centennial Bandshell and did a mural on a privately owned pool. This year, a mural is planned in Tonasket.
They’ve also done face painting at Art in the Park, the Omak Christmas celebration and other events.
Art camp participants’ artwork is used for the organization’s thank-you gifts to sponsors, posters, stationery and other items as a way of getting children’s works into the community.
This summer’s art camps will feature sessions for children ages 7-10 and 11 and older. The older students will be offered “immersion tracks” for part of their camping day, with emphasis on painting, pottery, drama, sculpture or book making.
“We’re trying to pull in older kids and give them a variety,” Hale said.
Apple Hill has an annual budget of $15,000, with almost 90 percent of the funding coming from grants and community donations, she said. Tuition makes up less than 10 percent of the total.
Information about this summer’s camps will be mailed to older previous participants this week and flyers will go out to schools in the next couple weeks.
Registration begins May 1.
More like this story
- Burn ban extended for parts of Okanogan County
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE