Wednesday, April 2, 2014
As tax day nears on April 15, we’re reminded of the tremendous impact decisions made in Washington, D.C., have here on families, farmers, and businesses.
With many still searching for jobs or working twice as hard to pay the bills, the last thing we need is a higher tax bill from the federal government. Unfortunately, this administration has repeatedly shown its approach is to tax more and spend more.
Americans deserve to keep more of their hard-earned money and they deserve a tax code that is easy to understand. I have long supported efforts to eliminate our current tax system and replace it with one that is simpler, fairer and consistent. Simplifying our tax code will give American families and job creators the certainty of knowing what their tax bill will be year-to-year so that they can plan for the future, save and invest.
A competitive tax system will grow our economy, allow American small businesses to create new jobs, and enable private sector growth.
The chairman of the House tax writing committee recently released a proposal to reform the tax code with these goals in mind. While this is just the first draft, it will allow Americans to review it and see what they like and don’t like about the proposal before moving forward. In my view, this open process is how Congress should work, instead of former Speaker Pelosi’s infamous quote that “we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it” in reference to Obamacare. You can learn more and share your tax reform ideas at www.taxreform.gov.
I will continue to support efforts to create a simpler, more competitive tax code that will help American families and businesses succeed.
Rep. Doc Hastings represents Washington’s 4th Congressional District, including Okanogan County.
More like this story
- Signups start for Okanogan rooter's bus
- School to honor state soccer champs
- Okanogan returns to state 2B title game
- 810 (2015-472 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) City of Omak
- 810 (2015-562 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) INVITATION TO BID
- 810 (2015-613 Nov. 18, 25) At the regular council meeting of November 10, 2015
- 810 (2015-626 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) Notice is hereby given that the Town of Riverside, Washington
- 810 (2015-627 Nov. 25, Dec. 2) A public meeting for the 2016 Budget
- 810 (2015-628 Nov. 25) NOTICE OF ORDINANCE PASSED BY THE OKANOGAN CITY COUNCIL
- 810 (2015-629 Nov. 25) CITY OF OKANOGAN NOTICE OF STREET CLOSURE NOTICE