Wednesday, April 2, 2014
OMAK Drew Jaeger relied on songs made popular by The Platters and Vince Gill en route to claiming his second straight Washington State Nashville Country Star title Saturday.
The Wenatchee High School senior — the only boy among the 13 contestants — is headed to the University of Wash-ington’s music program next year.
Jaeger was crowned at the end of a three-hour program that saw him and Emily Stredwick in a tie after the first round of scoring, contest founder Ed Lisenbey told the audience.
Judges crunched numbers some more — and split a few hairs, Lisenbey said — to come up with Jaeger as the winner.
He took home $1,500.
Stredwick placed second and won $750.
Katelyn Hart, Gig Harbor, placed third, followed by Kaitee Carney of Toledo. They won $600 and $500, respectively.
Curlew had three singers in the finale, with senior Kianna Carpenter placing fifth and winning $400.
Samantha Bennett, a freshman from Graham Kapowsin High School in Western Washington, placed fourth and won $300.
The remainder of the field, winning $250 each, included Lexi Batman, Wenatchee; Taleigh Bockmann, Curlew; Jaimee Keenan, Curlew; Teo Lupu, Redmond; Mel Markel, Richland; Allison Porter, Redmond, and Rachel Woods, Sumner.
Brock Hires, a former competitor from Tonasket, was master of ceremonies.
More like this story
- Communities scare up tricks, treats
- School seeks veteran photos
- BBB warns of fake online Seahawks store
- 3,895 pounds of chicken, pork bologna recalled
- New October rainfall records set
- Lester sentenced for child rape, molestation
- Woodcutting accident causes Ferry County power outage
- Officials suspend pursuit on Profanity Peak wolves
- Work slated to begin soon on Omak DNR fire base
- New business to occupy former Hughes store in Oroville
Chronicle News Broadcast for Oct. 19, 2016
An Oroville woman injured in car wreck near Crumbacher, Omak house damaged by fire, thousands expected to attend Okanogan Family (Barter) Faire, Natalie Carrier talks about the Omak Zombie Fun Run, a look at your weekend weather forecast, and weekly sports report. Enlarge