Wednesday, September 25, 2013
MAZAMA A search and rescue case originally reported as a woman with a broken ankle who managed to hobble to safety with the help of other hikers turned out to be a full-fledged rescue with the injured woman getting a piggy-back ride from a deputy.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said more details came to light after his initial report of an exhausting weekend involving a half-dozen search and rescue cases. The Chronicle carried the initial story in its Sept. 18 issue.
The call came in at 6 p.m. Sept. 14 for a 24-year-old woman with a possible broken ankle. She was reported in the boulder field by Lewis Lake near Rainy Pass off state Highway 20. Rogers said initial information indicated other hikers helped the woman get to the trailhead, and then to medical assistance.
Then Rogers learned the rest of the story. He said the woman, whose name wasn’t recorded, was three miles up the trail at Heather Pass and broke her ankle in the boulder field.
Deputy Ottis Buzzard, Aero Methow Rescue’s Vikki Buzzard and Search and Rescue members Mark Matson, Ruth Payne, Rick Leduc and Andrew Lederer hiked in. Because of the rough terrain, they were unable to use a wheeled sled for the rescue, Rogers said.
Once the woman’s injuries were stabilized by Vikki Buzzard, deputy Buzzard “put the woman on his back and then hiked back out to the trailhead with her, through the boulder field, Rogers said. “All this was done at night, in the dark.”
He praised the rescue crew — and especially the deputy.
“They are all an invaluable asset to this county, and Ottis, he’s definitely one in-shape stud,” Rogers said.
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acresHAVILLAH - The Pickens North fire has burned an estimated 600 acres, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
- Crews work to line Pickens North fireHAVILLAH - The Pickens North fire has burned an estimated 600 acres, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.
More like this story
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
- Nearly $6,000 raised for motorcyclist’s family
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge