Wednesday, September 25, 2013
MAZAMA A search and rescue case originally reported as a woman with a broken ankle who managed to hobble to safety with the help of other hikers turned out to be a full-fledged rescue with the injured woman getting a piggy-back ride from a deputy.
Okanogan County Sheriff Frank Rogers said more details came to light after his initial report of an exhausting weekend involving a half-dozen search and rescue cases. The Chronicle carried the initial story in its Sept. 18 issue.
The call came in at 6 p.m. Sept. 14 for a 24-year-old woman with a possible broken ankle. She was reported in the boulder field by Lewis Lake near Rainy Pass off state Highway 20. Rogers said initial information indicated other hikers helped the woman get to the trailhead, and then to medical assistance.
Then Rogers learned the rest of the story. He said the woman, whose name wasn’t recorded, was three miles up the trail at Heather Pass and broke her ankle in the boulder field.
Deputy Ottis Buzzard, Aero Methow Rescue’s Vikki Buzzard and Search and Rescue members Mark Matson, Ruth Payne, Rick Leduc and Andrew Lederer hiked in. Because of the rough terrain, they were unable to use a wheeled sled for the rescue, Rogers said.
Once the woman’s injuries were stabilized by Vikki Buzzard, deputy Buzzard “put the woman on his back and then hiked back out to the trailhead with her, through the boulder field, Rogers said. “All this was done at night, in the dark.”
He praised the rescue crew — and especially the deputy.
“They are all an invaluable asset to this county, and Ottis, he’s definitely one in-shape stud,” Rogers said.
More like this story
- 820 2016-011 Jan. 20, Feb. 10)
- 800 (2016-012 Jan. 13, 20, 27) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN - JUVENILE
- 800 (2016-024 Jan. 20) Notice of Appeal Hearing SEPA Appeal of DNS for CUP 2015-8 Morgan Septic Lagoon
- 800 (2016-025 Jan. 20) Notice Seeking Comments regarding Juvenile Detention Options
- 810 (2016-019 Jan. 20) Notice of Initiation of Plan Update, Adoption for Implementation and Issuance of a DNS under SEPA
- 820 (2016-021 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 03, 10) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-018 Jan. 20, 27, Feb. 3) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON IN AND FOR THE COUNTY OF OKANOGAN
- 820 (2016-013 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER FOR SALE
- 820 (2016-014 Jan. 13, 20, 27) NOTICE OF PUBLIC TIMBER SALE
- 820 (2016-015 Jan. 20) As per law, the Okanogan School District