Wednesday, September 25, 2013
PATEROS The collision of a pickup and a tractor-trailer Sept. 19 injured a local woman and shut down U.S. Highway 97 about two miles north of town, slowing traffic to a crawl for about three hours.
Kathleen M. Pryor, 90, of Pateros, was driving south in her pickup truck at about 2:20 p.m. when she left the roadway and went into the ditch, then drove back across both lanes onto the northbound shoulder, according to a State Patrol report.
The tractor, hauling two trailers stacked with apple boxes, attempted to avoid Pryor by veering into the southbound lane, but Pryor’s pickup struck the rear of the first trailer while it was still in the northbound lane.
The crash tipped over the second trailer, sending boxes tumbling into the southbound ditch.
Pryor, who wore her seatbelt, was treated and released the same day at Three Rivers Hospital, spokeswoman Rebecca Meadows said.
She was charged with driving with wheels off the roadway, the State Patrol said.
The driver of the tractor-trailer, 36-year-old Timothy L. Isensee of Brewster, was unharmed.
While state troopers investigated the crash, volunteers with Okanogan-Douglas County Fire District No. 15 helped right the tipped trailer. The state Department of Transportation was called in to clean up the roadway and direct traffic, which was backed up for miles on both sides until the trailers were towed away at about 5 p.m.
More like this story
- Donations sought for Wellpinit fire victims
- Pickens North wildfire reaches 600 acres
- Crews work to line Pickens North fire
- 820 (2016-349 Aug. 24, 31) CALL for BIDS-BID No. 418-16
- Opening arguments start in Alltus murder case
- 810 (2016-346 Aug. 17, 24) NOTICE TO CONTRACTORS
- (2016-336 Aug. 10, 17, 24) IN THE SUPERIOR COURT OF WASHINGTON FOR OKANOGAN COUNTY
- 820 (2016-347 Aug. 24)Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority
- 820 (2016-348 Aug. 24) Notice The Okanogan County Transit Authority Board
- Meteorologists issue red flag warning
Live wildfire coverage
Pickens Mountain fire near Split Rock Road in Havillah. Footage filmed live on location 8/24/16 Enlarge